Chapter 18 Take Off into a Headwind

Ophelia is relieved to have their old Emu back after they defeat Gatton. Emu apologized for his harsh words to hurt her and Ophelia assured him it was all forgiven. They need to figure out how to cure Emu completely as they all meet up on the rooftop.

Hiiro activates his Taddle Quest Gashat to see if they lure the Bugster out from Emu. "Taddle Quest!"

Emu closes his eyes nervously and waits for it to come out but only meets silence. He peeks to see the Bugster appear when Hiiro's Gashat activates. It didn't come out and Hiiro deactivates it seeing there's no sign of progress.

"The Bugster isn't appearing." Asuna commented sighing heavily.

"Why?" Hiiro whispered while looking confused as Ophelia looked lost in deep thoughts.

"What's the cause of it?" Ophelia couldn't help but ask.

Emu feels guilty that Ophelia and Hiiro are taking their time off to help his problem. "I'm sorry to make you and Fee-chan do this for me when you guys are busy." He apologized.

Hiiro shoves his hand into his pocket. "Do not be mistaken." He shrugged off his apology. "You are a Game Syndrome patient. It would tarnish my reputation if something happened to you."

Ophelia shook her head off his lies and looked at Emu. "You don't have to apologize for it, Emu. We're helping you to cure you despite my healing is probably useless for Game Syndrome."

"For now." Emu corrected her and smiled gently. "You, Kanade-san and Luna-san saved me before I could become like them. Your healing powers aren't useless."

"Emu..." Ophelia nodded her head in agreement. She couldn't think negatively of her healing powers.

"When I play games, my personality changes." Emu explained his change of behavior when it involves games. "Is that due to the Bugster within me?" He clenches his hands at the thought that switching personalities could hurt people's feelings like Ophelia. "I'm... afraid of myself." He revealed the truth of being scared to lose himself again.

Asuna looked down at the moment before assuring Emu. "It's alright. You'll be cured for sure. Don't worry." She comforted Emu and Ophelia nodded her head.

"Asuna is right." Ophelia stroked his shoulder to comfort him. "We'll figure it out just like we always did. Don't lose hope, Emu."

Hiiro and Emu's game scope blared as they received an emergency call. The four of them left to deal with their problems.

————————————————————

The four of them arrived at the amusement park to meet Nico and Taiga. The female gamer rolls her eyes at their delay. "So slow." She snapped at them for their tardiness. "If I call, I want you here in 5 seconds."

"Not everyone can teleport in a blink of an eye, Nico." Ophelia retorted back and Nico scoffed in annoyance.

"You were the ones who called?" Hiiro asked Taiga to see him examining the male student's condition.

"It's a Jet Combat Bugster." Taiga answered and recognized the Bugster inside of the male student's body. He turned off his game scope. "He's been infected."

"I-I-I-I-I-I-I-Infected!?" The male student stuttered nervously at the thought of having Game Syndrome.

Nico decided to tease him. "Too scared." She mocked him and Ophelia glared at the girl. "You can't get a girl like that."

"Saiba Nico." Ophelia called her name in a cold tone and Nico cringed in fear.

"Eh!?" The male student whispered and cried out in pain. "Ah!" His head bent down and he looked up as his eyes flashed red. "Operation start!" It transforms into a Bugster.