Chapter 23

Dark was an under statement. Down here it's was like walking with in a thick, ominous fog. Our torch could only shine it's beam several feet in front of us, illuminating the mossy cobble which we tread upon.

My heart was pounding against my ribcage, I brought my hand towards the silver cross which dangled down my neck, gripping the noble metal tightly. Reiner tried to create a conversation, but failed, Ymir stayed quiet, Mikasa was to focused on the cracks along the concrete walls.

Now, if you knew Mikasa for as long as I have you would be able to read her like an open book. She's in a protective state, looking out for any possible threat. A creature, whether big or small, could lurk in any nook and cranny within this never-ending hallway.

Her hand was constantly resting on the hilt of a knife which was strapped to her belt, every time she spotted any movement it turned out to usually be ourselves. Creating a small dust cloud or one of us accidently kicking a pebble into her line of sight.

Hours have passed and my body began to ache. The distance we have travelled remains unknown, but the time has flown. Our pace decreased in speed and before we knew it we had stopped completely. Taking of our bags and equipment, we placed them nearby, within arms reach. Sitting onto the cold ground we all finally relaxed our tense bodies.

"I'll stay on guard, I don't like this place." Mikasa calmly stated, refusing to sit and get comfortable. Reiner stood, staring at the slightly shorter raven.

"No, you sit your ass down. You've been all tense and shit, you're going to damage yourself."

"But-"

"No buts, I'm taking charge!"

"Fine, if you insist. Don't come running to me if we're all under attack." She spat, leaning against the wall with her head facing away form Reiner.

Reiner glanced at me, raising an eyebrow. I shook my head and shrugged my shoulder, Reiner nodded and took the touch off Ymir, who showed no signs of even caring. He directed the beam of light across the halls and the walls, where the light hit the dark vanished then seeped back into place as the beam moved to another place.

I woke up to find my cheek resting on the cold floor, peeling it off and rubbing it warm with my hand, I scanned the area. Everyone was in a deep sleep, calm looks on their relaxed faces. Even Mikasa was asleep, curled up into a ball with her head resting on Reiner's bag.

Quietly and calmly I crawled to my feet, using the wall as support, once I was upright I felt a sharp pain in my leg.

"Stupid Pins and Needles...." I quietly mutter, shaking my foot the feeling becomes more intense. The opposite reaction I was hoping for.

Edging around the sleeping bodies and bags, I stumbled down the dark hallway. Dragging my numb leg, trailing my fingers along the wall. Soon the light of the 'camp' faded and I was left in complete darkness.

But it doesn't mean I was in complete silence.....

The sound of light breathing could be heard nearby, the owner getting closer. My heart picked up and was beating faster, I came to a stand still, trying to listen all that filled my ears was the sound of blood rushing though my veins.

My hand left the wall, creeping to my dagger. Gripping the hilt, I unsheathed it. Gritting my teeth I glared at the darkness, listening to new sound of footsteps echoing from the darkness.

"Who's there? Show yourself...!" I called out. The footsteps stopped, but soon began again until they were almost a yard away. The darkness was thick, hiding the unknown owner from my vision.

"I see you're still alive, well done Jaeger."

"Goddammit Levi! Don't do that..!" I lowered my guard and the shorter male stepped closer, close enough for me to see.

"My apologies.... Not." He simply state, crossing his arms across his chest.

This time he was wearing a white dress shirt, tucked into black dress trousers and black shoes which would shine within the light.

"Yeah, yeah... Well, what the fuck do you want?"

"I came to help you, just a tiny bit." Lifting his hand out in front of him, putting his finger and thumb millimetres apart. Measuring the amount of information he was willing to give, I felt mocked as his cockiness towards the situation.

"Wow..! Thanks, always wanted a 'tiny' amount of help..!"

"It's my pleasure, do you want it or not."

"Actually I want to know why you're really here."

--------

Oh my goodness, I am so so sorry for the long delay!! I had a little writers block and was very busy!

I'm finally off from school so I'll try to update Deep Slumber as much as possible! Thanks for all the likes, views and comments they make me very happy!

Hope you're enjoying the book and have a nice day/night!
-Angel