Chapter 27

The walls faded from a crumbly brick to a hard grey wall constructed of stone blocks, there was what looked like part of an iron gate built into the wall.

Over time it had rusted and was leaning to the side, it's once proud gothic style turned to a unsteady group of metal poles.

"Shit...." I muttered, their was a hole which would allow is access to the other side, but I can't go in with Krista still on my back.

I stood their for a while until we saw the faint glow of another torch hitting of the rusted gate and the sound of arguing between two people, or so it seemed until other voices joined the argument.

"Oh for gods sake, you two shut the fuck up!" A voice yelled, Jean I presume, considering I could smell horses.

"But!" Two voices yelled back on unison, then I could hear the sound of someone being shoved back.

"I said shut it! Please, my head hurts from you two arguing!"

"Well there was no need to push me! Come on then! I could fight ya!" Connie said, feet hitting the smooth floor quickly then suddenly stopping. "Bertholdt! Let me go! I can take him!"

"Connie, quiet down please? He's right we shouldn't really fight, Bertholdt, let him go." Sasha said, the sound of clothes being hit then feet moving.

"Uh, hey! Anyone there!!" I called out, jogging towards the iron gate and gripping one of the rusted poles.

"Did you guys hear that?!"

"Yeah, it sounded like Eren. Yo! Eren! You here?!"

"I'm over here! Look for the torch!" I swung the beam of light around the tunnel frantically until the light hit several figures which were once nothing more than outlines within the dark, their own touch illuminating the gate.

Sasha, Connie, Jean, Bertholdt and a few others came into view, smiling even with a few wounds scattering their exposed skin.

"Eren! Do you need help?" Sasha said, her hands clasped around the gate and her eyes widened. "Is that Krista?"

"Hi..." She said, waving her hand slightly from behind my back.

"Jaeger, where's everyone? Mikasa, Ymir, Reiner?" Jean asked, narrowing his eyes slightly as if to see further into the dim light.

"Lost them, look I'll explain later on Since Krista's injured I can't exactly get through this goddamn gate/door." I grumbled, now rather annoyed by the talk.

Look, I really want robe on the other side but I can't, so long story short. Open the goddamn door.

"Stand back, Bertholdt will rip it down, right Bertholdt?" Sasha smiled enthusiastically after she had clapped her hands together.

"I'll try my best, maybe you guys should stand back. I don't want to accidentally hurt you." Bertholdt said, picking up a large stone which was by the gate.

I stood back and watched as he smashed it against the single remaining, rusty hinge. The gate wobbled but then Connie kicked it and it tumbled towards up, dust wafting up from the ground, filling the tunnel.

I coughed and walked through, carful not to get my foot stuck in any of the hole and gaps in the gate. It would be hilarious to see me fall, yes, I agree, but I would rather not risk Kirsta or what little dignity I may still own.

"Right, now Jaeger explain."

"Jean, I didn't even get a chance to say thank you..! Wait! Bad horse!" I laughed and turned to Bertholdt. "Thank you."

"It's fine, don't worry too much about it." He smiled and looked at Krista."Want me to carry her?"

I nodded and gently passed her over to him, now Krista was in a piggy back with Bertholdt and I'm a free man.

"Okay, everyone sit down it time for Papa Eren's story time. Don't get all excited at once." They were all relatively quiet and I glanced over them when I realised something.

"Hey, guys."

"What is it now?" Jean grumbled, seemingly annoyed by my presence or the fact that he can't handle my awesomeness. Right, story narration.

I ran a hand through my hair and furrowed my eyebrows slightly, finally realising what was wrong.

"Where's Marco?"