How Can I Help Her?

(Clementine's Pov)

I looked over to my right as I watched Violet sleeping. I feel like I can't help her, I know she doesn't want to ask for help, I know she doesn't like to show her emotions. When we first met she tried to keep away from me, after she thought Minerva was gone it broke her, someone she cared about was gone, or so she thought, and when I came she tried her best to not even be my friend. It hurt to know that but in the end we ended up together, we built a life together, not the normal life that our parents had wanted for us, I mean with the dead coming back and eating people causing us to lose others, and for others to try and start wars with each other. Would things be different had none of this happened? Would Violet still be this type of person? Would I have even met her?

I look to the road for a bit and think about everything that has happened in the past twenty or so years. If the world never changed would I have even met Violet? Would we have even dated? Would we have even gotten married? All the outcomes that could have happened if the world didn't end, we will never know what could have been. I hear some movement to my side and looked back to Violet as she turned her body so her back was facing me a bit.

I would do anything to get rid of her trauma, and I know she would do the same for me and everyone else. I was right when I told her that she doesn't ask for anything in return, she never asked Bonnie and her group for anything even though she saved Russel, when Aasim or Ruby asked if she would go into town for anything, she never asked them for anything in return. It made me a bit sad to know this about her, she keeps to herself and the only times she brings out her emotions is when she is either angry or drunk.

I remember all the bad things I had said to her, why did say all that stuff to her? She didn't deserve any of that, I wish I could take it all back, but I can't what's done is done and I can't turn back the clock and change how I said things to her. Had I known about what Joan was doing to her I would have slit Joan's throat myself, I would have made her suffer for what she had done to Violet. I Wish I was kinder to her back at the community, I wish I could have helped her when she needed it, but she never told me, and it just made me feel like she couldn't trust me.

"Clem?" I hear and look at Violet as I see her turn to look at me.

"Yea?" I asked and she looked to the side a bit then to me and I had to look back to the road.

"What... how are you feeling?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked her as I drove more.

"With everything that's happened... and what we just talked about... how are you feeling?" She asked me.

"I don't know in all honesty... I feel sad, that back then you couldn't trust me." I tell her honestly.

"I did... I was just scared." She tells me.

"Why would you feel scared?" I asked her. She kept quiet for a bit, and I hear her sigh a bit and I look to her.

"I was scared for you, not of you." She tells me and I frowned a bit at this.

"Why would you feel scared for me?" I asked her. At least I got her talking, this was progress, right?

"Joan... threatening you... my family.... I know you can handle yourself but.... I felt like I had a responsibility." She tells me.

"Explain that to me, I'm a bit confused on why you think you're responsible for me." I say to her, and I hear her scratch her head a bit.

"You know how people... instilled in others that the... man in a relationship has to be tough, and care for their family?" She asked and I chuckled lightly at this.

"You think you're the man in the relationship?" I asked her and I hear that sad laugh come from her. It broke my heart.

"No, I just... felt like taking that role myself... I wanted to... feel important I guess, not to get an ego from all this but you know... I guess it happened when we went to Georgia the first time... when Joan came, and you ran... and then got bit." She tells me and I hold my hand out for her to take. I feel her place her hand on mine and I hold it.