Chapter 16: Secrets of the Baxter Building

---

"I was a God, Valeria. I found it... beneath me."

- Doctor Doom, (Marvel Comics)

---

<(Atem POV)>

"Are you sure that we can leave Irene alone? I mean she looked pretty excited to test out her new divine powers. Even though she still can't use them to her full potential yet and can only detect the past and future of objects and other people, that won't stop her from trying to experiment with her powers." Emma Frost expressed her concerns.

We were currently traveling in a Rolls-Royce Phantom Hyperion on our way to the Baxter Building. Normally I only traveled through Boom tubes as it was the most efficient and fastest way to reach any destination in the world but that didn't mean I couldn't enjoy riding luxury cars, did it? In fact, I quite liked traveling in extravagant cars whenever I had time on my hands, especially if I was going to parties or any other official visits.

"Don't worry Emma. It would be alright. I don't believe Irene would suddenly become drunk with power just because she got cured of her blindness and awakened her divinity. I have at least that much trust in her. She has always been the responsible one especially when compared to her dear skin-changing wife." I snickered.

Also, Destiny was more or less harmless. She might let herself loose sometimes in trying out her new powers but that didn't mean she would harm anyone voluntarily. Even if she succeeds in developing her powers and starts actually manipulating the fates of others, a few evil blood-sucking politicians or bankers might lose everything they have but that would be it. She wouldn't do anything extremely nefarious to anyone without taking my permission..., at least that was what I wished... In hindsight, I should have probably 'ordered' her not to do that.

"I sure hope so, for her sake at least. Anyway, we are here, the infamous Baxter Building that you spent a billion dollars to buy. A pretty useless expenditure if you ask me. I mean we were one of the earliest investors in the foundation back when Dr. Franklin Storm started it but even after ten years, we were never able to get back our investment's worth.

They never had any groundbreaking invention that they could market. So, buying out the entire foundation, its building along with the massive debt that it had accumulated over the years makes no financial sense... unless you plan to sleep with the newest CEO of the foundation in which case it's pretty expensive for a one-night stand." Emma remarked, annoyed at my blatant expenditure.

Objectively speaking, she was absolutely right. The foundation made me lose a lot of money since it never gave any substantial returns on my investments. After all, a billion dollars was a lot for just a single building and only seven employees which also included two cleaners and an attendant. But what she didn't know was that I neither had any interest in its CEO who was by the way one of the most attractive women in Marvel comics, nor was I interested in making money through the company. What I was interested in was gaining control over the actions of a certain group of fantastic people.

But of course that didn't mean I couldn't tease Emma about it and annoy her more.

"Yeah, you are right. A billion dollars is a lot for a one-night stand. Maybe I should extend it to a one-year stand or maybe a couple of years. What do you think Emma?" I asked as I got out of the car after the driver parked it in the building's garage.

"I hate you." She said, not really meaning what she said.

"Nope, you love me. You are the mother of my children after all, and five of them at that too." I stated confidently to which she just huffed.