Chapter 15: The Unseen Gambit

A few years later...
In the heart of Midgar, an old man sat at a weathered desk, surrounded by parchment and quills. With a twinkle in his eye and a voice like rustling leaves, he began to talk to Cid, the newest addition to the Royal Spellsword Academy.

"Welcome, young Cid Kageno, to the Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy."

Cid, his eyes wide with anticipation, responded, "I can't wait to dive into the magic and swordsmanship and start this incredible journey!"

Exiting the grand doors of the Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy, Cid took a deep breath, feeling the weight of newfound possibilities. "Here's to a new chapter of my 'Background Character' persona," he murmured, a sense of excitement bubbling within.

As he strolled through the courtyard, Cid noticed a gathering of students, their whispers carrying a sense of anticipation.

Cid, normally uninterested in crowds, sighed, "Well, I'd usually avoid this, but I suppose for the sake of being an 'average' protagonist, I've got no choice." He quickened his pace toward the gathering, muttering, "Guess if you want to be a brainless chicken, you've got to stick with the flock!" with a mischievous grin.

Cid approached the gathering, curious about the commotion. As he joined, his eyes fell upon Kirito, engaged in a spirited debate with a member of the Knight Order.

Intrigued, Cid thought, "Looks like I stumbled upon a clash of personalities. Might as well see what the fuss is about." He sidled up, catching snippets of the argument and observing the dynamic unfolding before him.

The Knight Order member sneered, "Hah, look who we have here, a foreigner daring to step into the renowned Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy. Did you get lost on your way to some backwater academy, outsider?"

Kirito, with a confident grin, replied, "Well, it's a good thing this academy believes in embracing talent from all corners. Unlike some, I guess." He shrugged casually, adding, "Guess they didn't mention the 'locals only' rule in the brochure, did they?"

The Knight Order member scoffed, his tone dripping with arrogance, "Allowing peasants like you into our esteemed academy is akin to turning it into a rubbish heap. We should be cultivating true talent, not scraping the bottom of the barrel for foreign mediocrity."

Kirito, maintaining his composure, retorted, "Well, my dear critic, the academy values skill over social hierarchy. It's not about where you come from but what you can achieve."

The Knight Order member scoffed again, "Skill, you say? Maybe, but at least those of us from this continent have a legacy. Unlike you, a stranger without a noble crest or any mark of significance."

Kirito, unfazed, smirked, "Legacy or not, talent knows no boundaries. I may not carry a noble crest, but I've got something better – a determination to prove that true skill transcends the need for titles and symbols."

The Knight Order member's face contorted with anger, his fists clenching as if ready to throw a punch at Kirito. The tension hung thick in the air until a commanding voice sliced through the brewing confrontation.

"Enough!"

The authority in the voice belonged to Zenon Griffey, a calm figure with a commanding presence. The angry guy turned abruptly, his expression shifting from fury to submission as he bowed respectfully.

"I apologize, Mr. Zenon," he muttered, his tone humbled. "I let my emotions get the better of me."