Chapter 18: The Unwanted Charade

Kirito sat on a park bench near the academy, savoring his breakfast as the morning sun filtered through the trees. He sighed, admitting to himself, "Things haven't really progressed for me since joining the academy."

Taking another bite, he continued, "But, I guess they haven't gotten especially bad either. At least I still maintain my persona."

As he looked around the peaceful park, Kirito mused, "They just keep getting weirder and weirder, though."

Suddenly, Beta appeared next to him, gracefully writing in a book. 

She glanced at Kirito and asked, "What's weirder than a park breakfast, Kuroha-san?"

Kirito caught off guard, jumped in surprise, nearly spilling his breakfast. "Glitch!" he shouted, pointing at Beta.

Beta blinked and replied, "Glitch? Is that the latest lingo for meeting us of Shadow Garden?"

Kirito, regaining his composure, looked at her and said, "Beta, you can't just sneak up on people like that; it's not normal."

Beta, still writing in her book, chuckled back, "Normal is overrated, Kuroha-san. We live in the shadows, after all."

Rolling his eyes, Kirito sighed, "Can you spare the "wannabe-badass" quotes today? I'm just trying to enjoy my breakfast."

Beta smirked, "These aren't simple quotes; they're pieces of art crafted by my great Master."

Kirito raised an eyebrow, "Your great Master must have a weird sense of art, then."

Kirito attempted to enjoy his breakfast once more, deliberately ignoring Beta's presence. Beta, however, persisted, glancing over at Kirito with a mischievous smile.

Beta looked at him "So, Kuroha-san, how's your academic journey treating you?"

Kirito, with an unimpressed tone, replied, "Oh, just perfect. Unwanted battles with seniors on day one, gaining attention I never asked for on the next, a bit of bullying here and there, and now I'm the center of ridiculous rumors. All topped off by the fact that I'm forced to be a boyf—"

He abruptly stopped as he noticed the book Beta was writing in. Kirito squinted at the pages, realization dawning on him.

Kirito squinted at Beta's book, then looked at her with a deadpan expression. "Is that... Romeo and Juliet?"

Beta, surprised, grinned, "Oh, Kuroha-san, you have a good eye! But you'll have to wait until I finish it. It's a masterpiece in the making."

Kirito smirked, "No need to worry, Beta. I've already read it."

Beta chuckled, teasingly remarking, "Oh, Kuroha-san, did you read a different book with the same name?"

Kirito, deadpan, replied, "No, Beta, I'm pretty sure it was the classic Shakespearean tragedy."