Chapter 25: Portals and Punishments

Sherry Barnett fidgeted on the park bench, her eyes darting nervously around. The rustling leaves seemed louder, and the distant laughter of children playing made her jump. Then Kirito stood before her, his usually calm face now bearing a look of concern. Taking a deep breath, he sighed, "Look, I mean no harm."

With a scared look, Sherry leaned forward and whispered dramatically, "Ah, but I know your biggest secret."

"It's my fault you found out in the first place," Kirito admitted with a remorseful tone.

Sherry, still tense, stared at him, "So, you won't exterminate me?"

Kirito softened, "Exterminate is a harsh word. How about we make a deal?"

Curiosity flickered in Sherry's eyes. Kirito continued, "You keep my secret identity safe, and in return, I'll assist you with anything you need."

Sherry looked at Kirito with a hint of doubt in her eyes, searching his face for any sign of deceit. "Really?" she asked, her voice tinged with scepticism.

Kirito simply nodded, his expression sincere and unwavering. At his affirmation, a sense of relief washed over Sherry, and she began to feel more at ease.

Watching her, Kirito couldn't help but think about how innocent and trustworthy she appeared. Perhaps, he mused, his secret was safe with someone as genuine as Sherry.

Gaining confidence, Sherry finally spoke up, "Well, since you're offering help, maybe you can assist me with my research about some ancient documents?"

Kirito blinked, a hint of surprise evident on his face. "Ancient documents? That might be difficult," he admitted.

Sherry's shoulders slumped slightly, disappointment clouding her features.

Noticing her change in demeanour, Kirito quickly added, "But that doesn't mean I won't help. I'll do my best."

A bright smile returned to Sherry's face, and her eyes lit up with excitement. "That's wonderful to hear! I've already planned where we should start."

Kirito nodded, intrigued by Sherry's enthusiasm. It seemed their newfound alliance was off to an intriguing start.

Later on...
In front of a grand, ancient dungeon entrance, the moonlight cast eerie shadows, making the place seem even more mysterious. Sherry, clutching a tattered map, looked like a child on Christmas morning.

Kirito, on the other hand, scratched his head, looking uncertain. "Are you sure about this, Sherry?"

Sherry, practically bouncing on her toes with excitement, waved off his concerns. "Oh, Kirito! I had actually planned to hire the biggest, burliest guard in town for protection. But now that you're here," she said, flashing a radiant smile, "I feel like I've got a whole army with me!"

Kirito was indeed taken aback by the rapid shift in Sherry's demeanour. It was astonishing how quickly she had transitioned from fear to unwavering trust. He recognized that beneath her initial apprehension, Sherry possessed an insatiable thirst for knowledge. Her intelligence was evident, yet she lacked the cunning and guile typically associated with those who tread dangerous paths.

This pure passion for uncovering the mysteries of ancient documents seemed to override any reservations or fears she initially harboured. It was clear that her enthusiasm for research and discovery was a driving force, compelling her to leap into the unknown with determination and resolve.

The dungeon's entrance creaked open, revealing a dimly lit corridor. Sherry, map in hand, immediately began analyzing the intricacies of the ancient walls, tracing her fingers over faded inscriptions.