Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow

Kirito locked eyes with Kurumi, his gaze steady and unwavering, as he spoke with conviction, "You lied about knowing the future, didn't you?"

Kurumi's eyes widened in genuine surprise as she stared at Kirito.
For a brief moment, her facade of confidence wavered, replaced by a flicker of uncertainty.

But just as quickly as it had appeared, Kurumi's surprise melted into a smirk of amusement. "Well played," she admitted, her voice tinged with begrudging admiration. "That was quite the dirty move you pulled there, Kirito."

She released her grip on his blade and took a step back, raising her hands in a mock surrender. "But hey, there were no rules in our little game. Were there?" she remarked with a playful grin.

Then, with a casual shrug, Kurumi explained, "As for your little revelation, you're partially right. I didn't predict the future beyond a certain point in our fight."

She tilted her head to the side, her expression thoughtful as she continued, "That's why I trapped you in this ominous world of mine."

Kirito narrowed his eyes, his tone firm. "What about your claim of others being teleported here? Was that a lie, too?"

Kurumi shook her head, her smirk softening into a genuine smile. "No lies there, Kirito. There are others being teleported here."

She then raised her hands in a gesture of surrender, a hint of fatigue evident in her voice. "But I'm afraid I'm out of energy now. You win, Kirito. Well fought."

Kirito's gaze softened slightly as he regarded Kurumi, his voice carrying a note of curiosity, "What are you going to do now?"

Kurumi's smirk faded, replaced by a thoughtful expression. "Aiding you, of course," she replied, her tone surprisingly earnest.

Kirito nodded, considering her words for a moment before pressing further, "Are you going against the Cult of Diablos too? After all, you were the one who ordered me to confront them in order to return to my world."

Kurumi let out a laugh, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Didn't I already explain, Kirito? That mission was just a stepping stone for you to grow stronger and find your way to me."

She then gestured towards the horizon. "As for the Cult of Diablos, they're a threat to this world alone. But fear not, there are plenty of capable individuals here who can handle them."

Kirito pondered Kurumi's words, his mind swirling with thoughts of Shadow Garden. Despite Kurumi's apparent sincerity in aiding him, he couldn't shake the feeling of uncertainty surrounding her true intentions.

With a pointed finger, Kurumi turned her attention back to Kirito. "You, on the other hand, have bigger threats to deal with—ones that transcend worlds."

Kirito narrowed his eyes, his tone tinged with scepticism. "How can I trust you after the twisted way you've manipulated this whole situation?"

Kurumi chuckled softly, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Oh, Kirito, my dear. Have I ever laid a finger on you with bad intentions in mind?"

Kurumi's grin widened, a hint of challenge in her gaze. "But if you still find it hard to trust me, that's okay. Just remember, I'm your only way back to your world."

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Whether you trust me or not, the choice is yours. But deep down, you know you need me."

Kirito felt the weight of Kurumi's words bearing down on him like a heavy burden. The thought of returning to his world, to his friends, and to the life he knew so well, tugged at his heartstrings with an undeniable force.