Chapter 27: A Mission From Mitsugoshi.

As Kirito treaded the polished corridors of Midgar's academy, his footsteps echoed softly, resonating with the weight of his thoughts. The dim lighting seemed to dim further as memories from the ancient dungeon flooded his mind-the cryptic runes, the relics, and the unsettling prophecies that he and Sherry had stumbled upon.

His brow furrowed in contemplation. "How could they have known I'd be here?" he muttered to himself, a hint of unease clouding his usually composed demeanour. After all, he wasn't even native to this world; he was an outsider.

Finding a momentary solace beneath the shade of a grand tree in the academy's courtyard, Kirito took a deep breath, his gaze fixed on the distant horizon. "If Sherry's insights hold truth," he murmured, his voice barely rising above a whisper, "then the figure depicted in many of those age-old murals might hold the answers."

His eyes shimmered with determination, a silent vow forming within. Perhaps this enigmatic entity wasn't just a mere observer but possibly the very puppeteer orchestrating the intricate web of events that had entangled both him and Sherry. With that realization, Kirito felt a renewed sense of purpose, ready to delve deeper into the enigma that lay ahead.

As Kirito was lost in his thoughts, a composed girl emerged from the other side of the tree, her presence unexpectedly serene amidst the palpable tension. "They say you might be as strong as one of the Seven Shades," she began calmly, her eyes locking onto Kirito's.

"Yet, here you are, letting your guard down in the light of day

"Yet, here you are, letting your guard down in the light of day."

Closing his eyes momentarily, Kirito took a deep breath before responding, "I know you're not a threat." His voice was steady, resonating with an unwavering conviction.

The girl tilted her head slightly, her gaze unwavering. "And what if I am?" she questioned, a subtle challenge underlying her words.

With a thoughtful expression, Kirito replied, "Then I'll take the right measures. The last thing I want is to harm one of the few humans associated with Shadow Garden."

The girl's eyes widened momentarily, a hint of surprise flickering across her face. "Impressive," she remarked, her lips curving into a subtle smile. "You managed to discern my allegiance. I was merely testing to see if the rumours about you held any truth."

Stepping closer, she positioned herself directly in front of Kirito, her smile growing wider. "I am Number 13," she declared with a sense of pride, searching his eyes for any hint of recognition or surprise.

Kirito met her gaze, a faint smile playing on his lips. "I know," he replied calmly, "Your name is Nu."

The surprise was evident on Nu's face. "And how, may I ask, do you know that?" she inquired, clearly intrigued by Kirito's knowledge.

Without missing a beat, Kirito casually pointed to the insignia on her uniform. "It's right there," he said, a playful glint in his eyes.

A brief look of confusion crossed Nu's face as she glanced down at her uniform, only to realize there was no such inscription. Before she could react, Kirito chuckled softly, "Just teasing."