Chapter 12: Shadows Converge

Yukime entered the library with soft steps, her large fox ears twitching as she scanned the room. Spotting Kirito engrossed in a book, she approached quietly.

"Kirito-kun," she whispered, "the Cult has made a move again."

Kirito closed the book, his attention captured by Yukime's urgent whisper. As she settled in front of him, her fox ears perked up.

"Tell me, Yukime," Kirito said, his gaze focused, "what have they done this time?"

Yukime's eyes conveyed both concern and determination as she detailed the Cult's recent move. Kirito nodded thoughtfully.

"Abducting a girl... that's a bold move," he mused. "But it might just be the key to the answers we've been searching for. We'll need to act swiftly and cautiously to unravel their motives."

"I've prepared everything we might need," Yukime whispered, her eyes reflecting readiness.

Kirito sighed, a hint of worry in his eyes. "Yukime, I don't want you involved. It's too dangerous, and I can't risk you getting hurt. I'll handle this alone."

Yukime's fox ears drooped slightly, and she pouted, "Kirito-kun, I may look young, but I'm older than you, and I can handle myself just fine."

Kirito chuckled, reaching out to gently pat her head. "I know you're capable, Yukime. It's just that I worry about you. I believe in your strength, but I don't want to see you hurt. Let me handle the danger."

Yukime huffed, "I can handle danger, you know," but a small smile played on her lips, appreciating Kirito's concern.

Kirito grinned, "I know you can, but that doesn't mean I won't worry."

Yukime's smug grin widened as she teased Kirito, "You know, Kirito-kun, it's moments like these when you get all overprotective that I can't help but think you really like having me around."

Kirito rolled his eyes, a faint blush tinting his cheeks, "It's not about liking you; it's about keeping you safe."

She playfully nudged him, "Sure, sure. Keep telling yourself that, Kirito-kun."

After some time Yukime looked at Kirito with a determined gaze, her fox ears straightening as she spoke, "Kirito-kun, I've decided not to take part in this mission, but before you go, there are a few things we need to make clear."

Kirito raised an eyebrow, curious about her decision. "What is it, Yukime?"

She took a deep breath, "Shadow Garden is aware of you and your goals, but the Cult must remain unaware of your true identity. They must not know who you are, no matter what happens. It's a dangerous game, and our advantage lies in them underestimating you."

Kirito nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "I get it, Yukime. Keeping my identity hidden is essential so I will create a new persona."

Yukime reached into a small bag slung over her shoulder, producing a sleek black fox mask. She held it out to Kirito, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"I've crafted this for you," she said, her voice low. "Wearing it will shroud your presence as Kirito and instead project an aura of mystery and dread. It's a symbol they won't associate with you."

Kirito examined the mask, impressed by its craftsmanship. "Shadow Garden is sharp; they might notice something off."

Yukime smirked, a confident gleam in her eyes. "That's where your rings come into play." She pointed to the five rings on Kirito's fingers.

Currently...
Alpha and the Dark Swordsman were in front of each other.

"I cannot allow you to proceed any further, Dark Swordsman," Alpha declared with unwavering resolve, her obsidian sword held ready.