Chapter 16: Shadows and Synergy

In the moonlit forest, some mercenaries stumbled over roots and fallen branches, fear etched across their faces. The eerie glow revealed the relentless pursuit of the Shadow Garden warriors, their movements swift and calculated.

As the mercenaries darted through the shadows, whispers of dread lingered in the air. They knew tales of the formidable prowess possessed by the elusive girls. Panic fueled their flight, each step echoing the desperate rhythm of their hearts.

"We should've never taken this job escorting those suspicious merchants," one mercenary gasped, his breath ragged as he stumbled over a twisted root.

"Did you see that? There's another girl up ahead," whispered another, his eyes widening in realization. "This is more than we bargained for."

With a graceful wave of her hand, the girl summoned the shadows to life, and tree branches coiled around the mercenaries, ensnaring them in an inky embrace. Panic intensified among the captured, their struggles futile against the spectral tendrils.

As moonlight unveiled her face, Epsilon emerged from the darkness, her features cold. "Once you step into the shadows," she declared with an icy calm, "there is no escape from them." The remaining mercenaries stood frozen, their faces etched with a mix of shock and realization, trapped in the moonlit forest with no way out.

"You think you can trap us like animals, you Shadow Witch?" the enraged mercenary spat, his eyes blazing with anger. "Your tricks won't save you!" He lunged towards Epsilon, hurling insults with each step, but the shadowy tendrils swiftly closed in around him, leaving only his head exposed. Epsilon remained unmoved, her cold gaze fixed upon the futile defiance of the captured mercenary.

"Eloquent defiance, my captive friend," Epsilon remarked, her voice filled with arrogance. "But it seems your audacity is more a dance of foolishness than a display of bravery."

The enraged mercenary, despite the branch closing around his mouth, managed to mumble defiantly. Epsilon, with a smirk, remarked, "Ah, a captive bird! Your melodious insults might have amused me if I weren't busy." She then added, "Your mouth serves but one purpose now, and it's not for eloquence."

Turning her attention to the captive, Epsilon inquired coldly, "Now, since we have your undivided attention, where have the merchants you escorted vanished to? Speak, or the shadows will reveal more creative uses for that insolent tongue of yours."

The captive mercenary, caught in the relentless grip of the shadowy branches, felt the futility of resistance. With a defeated look, he met Epsilon's cold gaze and muttered, "Alright, alright, I surrender."

As Epsilon raised an eyebrow in response, he continued, "I don't care about those merchants. They said they work for some kind of sketchy Cult. I'm just a hired blade, not a zealot."

A mixture of fear and defiance lingered in his eyes as he added, "They headed southeast, deeper into the forest. That's all I know." The shadows loosened their grip slightly, allowing him to speak.

Epsilon's cold gaze remained fixed on the captive mercenary as he revealed the direction the merchants had taken. With a calculated nod, she processed the information. "Southeast," she muttered, her mind working swiftly to understand the terrain.

As Epsilon focused on the indicated direction, a subtle shift in the shadows caught her attention. Her senses heightened, detecting an unusual disturbance. A faint, ominous energy lingered in the air, prompting Epsilon to mutter, "Something is transpiring in the southeast. The shadows whisper of a disturbance, a presence beyond the ordinary."

Some moments later...
Epsilon and the other girls of her fraction emerged from the moonlit forest, their steps echoing with a quiet determination. As they approached the southeast, the flickering glow of flames painted an unsettling scene. The once pristine carriages of the merchants now lay in ruins, consumed by fire, and the lifeless bodies of the merchants sprawled on the ground.