Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger

Sherry slumped in her chair, exhaling a sigh that carried the weight of exhausting days. The artefact on her desk beckoned her attention, and she questioned aloud, "Why is my father so determined for me to finish this job?"

Gazing at the intricate object, her frustration melted into a moment of childlike whimsy. "I just want to have some fun, not be imprisoned in my own room," she mused, yearning for a break from the demanding responsibilities.

"I haven't seen Kirito around these days," Sherry admitted, a hint of loneliness tingeing her words. Then, realizing what she said, she blushed, quickly adding, "Not that I'm yearning for his presence or anything."

As she pondered this, a voice from the window interrupted, "Are you talking about me?"

Sherry's gaze snapped toward the window, her eyes widening in surprise. There, she saw Kirito sitting with a playful grin on his face. "Long time no see," he quipped.

Startled, Sherry blurted out, "How did you get there?" before Kirito swiftly covered her mouth with his hand, cautioning her against speaking loudly.

She nodded in understanding, whispering, "Why are you here?" with a mix of curiosity and intrigue.

"I just wanted to check on you," Kirito said with a sincere expression.

Sherry blushed, feeling a warmth spread across her cheeks. In a low tone, she whispered to herself, "I'm glad he's concerned about me."

Curious, Kirito asked, "What did you say?" as Sherry, embarrassed, quickly responded, "Oh, nothing at all."

A guard's voice echoed from outside the door, "Miss Sherry, is everything alright in there?"

Panicking slightly, Sherry replied, "Yes, everything's fine, just... having a conversation with myself."

After the guard's footsteps faded, Sherry turned to Kirito with a worried expression, "Why didn't you come as the Dark Swordsman? It would have been less risky!"

Kirito sighed, "I can't easily appear as the Dark Swordsman now. The Crimson Order and Shadow Garden's attention is fully on me. I have to be cautious."

Sherry nodded, understanding the complications. "I appreciate you checking on me, Kirito," she said softly, a mixture of gratitude and curiosity in her eyes.

Kirito gazed at the rising sun through the window, a hint of melancholy in his eyes. Turning to Sherry, he said, "Sherry, I don't have much time left."

Sherry, sensing the urgency, replied softly, "I understand how busy you are, Kirito."

Seriousness etched on his face, Kirito continued, "There's something important I need to tell you." Locking eyes with her, he urged, "Trust no one from now on without doubting them first."

Confused, Sherry questioned, "What do you mean, Kirito?"

Moving towards the window, Kirito sighed, "It's for your own good. Follow my advice." With those cryptic words, he left abruptly, leaving Sherry bewildered and longing for answers.

Sherry watched Kirito disappear into the shadows, his cryptic advice echoing in her mind. "Trust no one?" she murmured to herself, a mix of confusion and concern etched across her face.

Later on...
Kirito hastily shovelled spoonfuls of breakfast into his mouth, the aroma of Rem's cooking filling his room at Crystal Chalet. Rem, observing his rush, raised an eyebrow and asked, "Is something amiss, Kirito-kun? Don't you like the breakfast I prepared?"

With his mouth still partially full, Kirito mumbled, "No, Rem, the food is amazing as always. I'm just running late for school again."

Rem chuckled, "You're always cutting it close. Do you need any help or something?"