Chapter 24: Shadows and Secrets

Shadow sat elegantly in a lavish chair, the dim light of the night casting subtle reflections on his confident demeanour. With a crystal glass of expensive wine in his grasp, he took a moment to relish its rich taste.

Suddenly, Beta, with a hint of exhaustion in her eyes, appeared before him. "Lord Shadow," she began, her voice echoing determination, "the Cult members have been successfully eradicated from the capital. However, it's worth noting that half of the task was single-handedly accomplished by the Dark Swordsman."

Without missing a beat, Shadow replied, "Good."

Beta hesitated, her gaze shifting uneasily. "Lord Shadow, the Dark Swordsman's motives remain a mystery. I struggled to decipher his intentions, but it seems his actions were driven by an enigma that eludes us. Now that you've intervened, I believe the situation is under control."

Shadow's piercing eyes bore into Beta's, "The Dark Swordsman is undeniably formidable. His strength could have easily dismantled our forces if he so desired."

A wave of guilt washed over Beta as she interpreted Shadow's words as an implicit criticism of the Shadow Garden's vulnerability. She bit her lip, feeling responsible for the perceived weakness.

Shadow, however, sensed her unease and clarified, "The threat has been eliminated Beta. I am the sole sovereign of the night, and no force can challenge the dominance of mine. You have served well."

Relief swept over Beta as she absorbed Shadow's assurance, finding solace in the affirmation of their supremacy.

They thought the Dark Swordsman was destroyed.

The next morning...
Kirito stumbled out of his house, still groggy from sleep, and yawned as he opened the door. To his surprise, Cid was standing there with a forced smile plastered on his face.

"Good morning, Kirito!" Cid greeted enthusiastically, his overly cheerful demeanour not matching the early hour.

Before Kirito could respond, a girl emerged from behind Cid and delivered a swift punch to his head. Cid winced, rubbing the sore spot, while the girl gave Kirito an assessing look.

"Morning, Kirito. I'm Claire Kageno, and Cid here can be a bit too much sometimes," she said with a smirk as if enjoying the act of reprimanding Cid.

Confused, Kirito blinked at them both, trying to make sense of the unexpected encounter on his doorstep.

Cid awkwardly cleared his throat, "Uh, Kirito, this is Claire, my sister. She insisted on dragging me here for some reason."

Claire shot Cid a stern glance, "It was necessary, Cid. Don't downplay it."

Cid rubbed his head, chuckling nervously, "Yeah, sorry about that, Kirito. Claire can be a bit... insistent."

Claire took a deep breath, giving a polite bow to Kirito, "I apologize for my brother's behaviour, and I appreciate you taking care of him. Thank you."

Kirito, with a humble smile, replied, "Oh, it's no problem at all. Cid's a friend. We've had some good times together."

Cid, looking somewhat relieved, nodded in agreement. Claire, however, raised an eyebrow, a teasing grin playing on her lips.

"Really?" she remarked, casting a sidelong glance at Cid. "I find it quite intriguing. Cid usually gravitates towards the, well, 'lame and gross' crowd in the academy. How did you manage to capture his friendship, Kirito?"

Kirito chuckled, scratching the back of his head, "Well, it all began when Cid here approached me, asking if he could borrow some money."

Before he could continue with his jesting tone, Kirito noticed Claire's demeanour shift dramatically. Her once playful expression transformed, and an ominous aura emanated from her.