Chapter 20: Bonds of Steel

Zenon's face contorted in anger as Kirito halted his attack on Alexia. "Looks like Alexia found herself a new bodyguard, or should I say, a pet," Zenon sneered.

Alexia turned her gaze toward Kirito, who stared back at Zenon with a serious expression. "Back off, Zenon. I'm neither a pet nor a bodyguard. I'm her friend," Kirito asserted firmly.

Zenon scoffed, "A friend? How quaint. I didn't know you were collecting strays, Alexia." He leered at Kirito, "Your 'friend' here seems more like a lost puppy than a formidable swordsman."

As Zenon met Kirito's unyielding gaze, a flicker of doubt crossed his face. He hesitated, then reluctantly sheathed his sword. "Fine, enjoy your little playdate, but remember, you can't run forever, Alexia," he warned before disappearing.

Kirito sheathed his sword, shaking his head. "That guy is absolutely nuts," he remarked, glancing at Alexia.

Kirito approached Alexia, offering a hand to help her up. "Are you alright?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

Alexia hesitated for a moment before accepting his hand, a small smile forming. "I'm fine, thanks," she replied, brushing off the dirt from her clothes.

Kirito nodded, relieved. "Glad to hear that."

A faint blush colored Alexia's cheeks as she tried to express her gratitude. "Um, thanks for stepping in back there. I appreciate it."

Kirito smiled, "Anytime. Friends look out for each other."

As Alexia looked at Kirito's warm smile, a realization dawned on her. In that moment, she saw beyond the fierce swordsman facade and recognized the genuine guy who had her back.

With a subtle struggle, Alexia finally mustered the courage to bring up the topic of their pact. "Kirito," she began, "about us pretending to be a couple..."

Kirito, puzzled, raised an eyebrow. "Pretending? What do you mean?"

She let out a sigh, her words tinged with a mix of relief and regret. "You don't have to keep acting as my boyfriend. Zenon's threats were the reason for the charade, but I think we can handle it differently now."

Taking a deep breath, Alexia looked into Kirito's eyes with sincerity. "Kirito, I've been trying to handle everything on my own, but I realize I might need some help. Would you mind... training with me? I want to become stronger, not just for dealing with Zenon but for myself. Will you be my sparring partner and help me improve?"

Kirito blinked in surprise at Alexia's request. "Training? I thought we were doing a pretty convincing job as a couple," he joked, a smirk playing on his lips.

Alexia, taken aback, furrowed her brows. "Kirito, this is serious. I'm trying to be sincere here."

Kirito's smirk faded as he raised an eyebrow, "Sincere? About training? You really need my sword skills that badly?"

Alexia, now slightly irritated, crossed her arms. "No, not just for the sword skills. I mean, yes, for that too, but I want your help to become stronger overall."

Kirito burst into laughter, "You're serious about this? Alright, I guess I can be your personal trainer."

Alexia's eyes lit up with gratitude. "I'm glad," she said earnestly. A warm smile formed on Kirito's face as he nodded in agreement.

"And, Kirito," she continued, "your secrets are safe with me from now on."

After one week...
Under the cover of darkness, members of the Cult of Diablos stealthily infiltrated the orphanage, their sinister intentions evident. The dimly lit corridors echoed with the soft shuffling of their footsteps as they kidnapped unsuspecting children.