Chapter Two- Sinister Sleepovers.

MIRA

Later that night I woke up, wedged between Lolls and Gillian. Looking around I held in a giggle as I heard Kelly's foghorn like snoring and saw Gilly-Bean drooling with her mouth wide open, her hand splayed across Kelly's mouth in a futile attempt to make her stop. Thirsty, I left the fort we’d made in the living room and made my way to the kitchen, rubbing my eyes sleepily, I quietly tiptoed forward and peered around the corner when low moans brought me to a standstill. The familiar sight of my dad and Elaine pawing at each other had me backing up, pressing myself against the wall at an angle where I could see them. The stink from their hormones masking my scent as I eavesdropped, hidden in the dark, the subject the same as always.

"We can't keep doing this Liam, I won’t keep doing this," I heard Elaine say huskily.

"You know I'm only with her because I needed pups and only she could give me that, not that she could even do that right. Not with the boy." 

"But she can't give you anymore!" Elaine growled softly. "You promised Liam."

"That's what happens when the moon goddess makes mistakes." Dad's voice carried over to me, the black fury in his tone making me shiver and the splinters sting. I peeked around the corner carefully to see him pulling away from Elaine, running his hand through his hair as a growl of disgust rumbled in his throat. "Marking a human was never going to happen! Look pet, she’s income, you know I’m not fucking her so whats the fucking problem?" he seethed, pulling out of her grip.

Instantly she backed down, pouting sadly but her hand was reaching for his belt, I backed up a step, I've got enough scars thanks. “I can't keep watching you leave, Liam. I don't know why you insist on keeping her alive when we could be together properly. Don't you want that? you've got the life insurance policies, imagine what we could do with all that money." She pleaded, bile rose in my throat, listening to her talk about my mothers life as if it meant nothing. "Please baby," she said before the gross noises started, I turned to leave but Dad’s voice stopped me. 

He grunted, "Okay, when I get back I’ll deal with them once and for all, jesus that's good…ugh," Creeping away, the splinters stabbed relentlessly at my heart, was this it? Was dad going to hurt mum? What about Aden? The realistic part of me scoffed, Aden’s lucky to be alive as it is, he hates him more than he hates mum, a living, breathing defective failure, my brother was almost as good as me when it came to hiding in the shadows.
Tears tracked their way down my small cheeks, my hand twisting my golden brown curls around my fingers tightly while the other rubbed my tummy in an effort to stop the sick feeling that gripped me. I didn't want anything bad to happen to them. Aden may not like me but he was my brother and if I could keep him safe by keeping dad happy, then that's what I did. Not that I minded. I actually liked spending time with him, as twisted as that is, but he was hardly ever home and I spent a lot of time alone, I read a lot. Mum wasn't allowed to show me affection but I’d seen her holding the one photo of us together that she was allowed to keep. She only took it out when dad was gone. It was taken just after I was born and she was looking down on me with such reverence, love shining from her eyes while I slept in her arms. She would stroke my tiny face, her fingers softly tracing the photograph as she cried heartbrokenly. 

Slipping back into my sleeping bag beside Laura, the thoughts and questions jumbled up as the fear and tears kept coming until I fell asleep, exhausted, praying to the moon goddess to help me.