Chapter Fourteen- Prophecy.

MIRA

After Gramps had recounted what had occurred to the others, a disconcerting quiet fell, Mum's eyes were continuously flashing between blue and white and Grams' was lost in contemplation, while Aden and Lolls, for once, had nothing to say. I hated that I was ruining Aden’s day with this crap, they hadn’t mentioned the magic show, everyone was freaking out and my skin was crawling with the weird negativity in the layers. Eventually Mum clapped her hands together and put a wide happy smile on,  it would almost look convincing if her eyes would stay blue. "We can look into this more later, right now I just want to celebrate my baby's birthday. Present time!" 

Lolls ran upstairs, coming back a minute later with two parcels, both wrapped up with so much tape I didn't think I'd ever get it open. The pile getting bigger as everyone added to it. "Come on Mims, open them," Lolls giggled, "mine first." After an epic battle with the tape, I opened it to find a tiny Oscar trophy engraved at the bottom that read, "Best Actress, Mira E. Peters."

Flicking my hair dramatically I shot her a grin. "Finally, recognition for my talents! Thanks Lolls, it's perfect."

Alongside the trophy and brass knuckle dusters Lolls gave me, Aden had given me a stuffed dinosaur, a replica of the one I had sneaked into his room all those years ago. "Now we both have one, whenever you're not with us, you can cuddle up to Stumpy as well as your wolf if you still have him, and I can show you how to enchant your weapons." The last part was hushed so mum didn’t hear him, I giggled into his mind, thanking him for both my gifts.

"How did you know?" I breathed out loud, stunned that he had kept his all these years. 

"I wasn't sleeping that night, I watched you creep in and hide it among my other toys. I couldn't bring myself to throw him away. Mine is called Stompy," he said with a blush.

"I love him, thanks bro." I said, beaming at him. Next came a stack of books from Grams, titles like 'Magicals, A Genealogy' and 'The Magical Properties of Nature' graced the covers on all but one. The embossed leather cover had a crest on it and underneath an empty scroll was stitched in delicate gold thread. She also gave me a framed photo she had taken last night, the six of us were all laughing on the couch with our arms and legs tangled together. "The books are spelled to be weightless and the last one will only ever open for you, until you pass it on someday. Every witch or warlock has their own. That's our Coven's crest and motto, it’s tradition to receive our grimoires when we touch our magics." 

I traced the two crossed quills that sat atop an open book. Familiar words were etched in an arc above the crest, ‘Knowledge Lies In The Truth,” I read the title of Gramps first book and Rule Two softly. "I love them Grams', thank you," 

Gramps handed me an A4 box, inside was a pile of paper and a title. Confused, I looked at him and he grinned, “it’s my new book, unread by anyone but me, I stayed up last night writing a new chapter.” I hugged the manuscript to my chest, beaming at him as he handed me a jewellery box. I opened it to find a fine gold chain with a small white stone dangling from it. "If you ever need to send us a message, focus your magic on the stone, it will get your message to who it is meant for, magical or not. Make sure to only use it around people you trust and don't worry about losing it, it's spelled to find its way back to you."

"These are fantastic Gramps, thanks." Elated at having a way to contact my family, yet melancholy at the thought of leaving them, I turned to Mum, who still held the five huge bags in her hands. "Thirteen presents, you'll have outgrown most of them but I still want you to have them." I opened the first twelve, vowing to keep them all and grinning so much my face hurt. She looked at me with such tenderness as she handed the last one to me. Unwrapping the gift, I found a big wooden box with my name carved into it.