Chapter Thirteen- The Reading That Broke Gramps.

MIRA

“So how does this work? Do I sit in a salt circle while you wave herbs over me and chant?" I cheekily grinned at the warlock in question,  “I’ve always wondered why you’ve never written about the actual process.”

"Salt is for keeping things out, don’t you watch Supernatural?" he asked, “oh you should, tv is an invaluable medium these days.”

Gasping I stared at him, “There are Magicals in the cast? Who?! Please say Jenson Ackles, it’s Jenson isn’t it? Or Misha, actually Jim Beaver makes more sense, Bobby's OG.” A wicked grin overtook my face, I turned, not waiting for Gramps reply I located my brother through the kitchen window then screamed as loud as I could into his mind to tell Lolls immediately. The overgrown idiot jumped in fright, tripped over a chair and landed in a heap at Grams feet, the two of us roared with laughter when she reached for the ever present camera around her neck, snapping a series of shots of him lying on the ground surrounded by the wreckage of the chair before stepping over him and walking away.

“Those will be going in the album.” Gramps laughed, “and yes, actors, writers, special effects, Tinseltown is brimming with our kind, we’re a creative bunch by nature. I’ve dabbled a little in the past myself.”

Astonished, I bowed to him on one knee, my hands spread in supplication, "I can learn so much from you, Master Jedi."

"Teach you the ways of the force, I will,” he joked in an impressive Yoda voice, placing his hand on my bowed head regally, a haughty look on his face, I barely had time to register the way my magics yanked his mist into mine before time slowed down, way, way down. In slow motion I looked up from under my eyelashes at Gramps and for a split second as green eyes met blue, he was frozen, a perfect statue standing with his hand on my head, snooty expression stuck on his face comically. Barely seconds passed when time whirled forwards, sickeningly fast, I got to my feet as he staggered back, landing on his bum. He was staring at his shaking hand and then looked at me with pale skin and wide eyes. My jaw dropped open in disbelief when my grandfather scrambled over until he was kneeling in front of me, gripping my arms, he gazed at me. In horror I watched as his eyes filled. The powerful Reader threw his arms around me and cried. 

Doing my own impersonation of a statue, it was my turn to freeze. I don't know what had just happened, or why my larger than life Gramps was hugging my waist tightly, crying hysterically. Fear pumped out of me, the air thickening with it like fog, the house was trying to reassure me and failing. My family came running into the garden, alerted that something had happened. The house? Or was it me? Or were they shamelessly peeking this whole time? Aden and Lolls reached the two of us in record time, skidding to a shocked halt as they took in the scene before them, Grams ran to Gramps. Letting go of me, he clung to her instead, shaking while she held him so tenderly. I'd have tears in my eyes if they weren't there already. The strength of their love infused into the layers, I could feel the power it held and I made a promise to myself right there, amid all the fear and the unknown, that I would never settle for anything less than that, mate bond or not. 

Mum ran to me, her hawk eyed white gaze fixed firmly upon me, squinting hard in concentration, panic coated her face, "I still can't see, why can't I see?!" Her shaky fingers traced my face as if she needed to memorise my features. Whipping her head up, she shot her eyes to Gramps, who was thankfully calmer but still visibly dazed. "Dad? What happened? I can't see anything! I'm being blocked." Mum’s rising hysteria cut through my fear, making me cold, "I've just got her back Dad, please don't let anyone take her from me again, I can't go through that again... please Dad..." she broke down in Gramp’s open arms, her pure terror snapping him back to reality as he comforted his little girl, Grams arms wrapped around both of them. The air that flowed around us intensified with panic and love, whipping the snow weighing the branches down into a frenzy, flakes dusted our heads. Lolls and Aden both checked me over to their satisfaction, overlapping their sentences and glaring at each other.