𝟬𝟲. seething with hidden life

CHAPTER SIX
don't pretend it's such a mystery

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐉osephine was barely ten years old when she watched the stock car her father was driving on the racing circuit blow up into smithereens. Thankfully, Mia wasn't there that day. She was eight and frankly used not to indulge herself in cars until she was a teenager. Their brothers were there though. She remembered hearing Dominic scream in horror as flame erupted and devoured their father inside the vehicle.

     She remembered Jakob sweeping her up from the stands, trying to pull her away from the scene. It was too late. The younger girl had seen it all. They had thought she would've forgotten about it easily since she was so young. They didn't know their little sister was one of the smartest kids out there and had the memory of an elephant.

     Ever since then, that day replayed in her head whenever sleep took her. It flashes like a movie whenever she sees something that remotely resembles that scene. It plagued her mind like an unwanted disease. Daddy was burning and there was nothing little Jo could do but stand there helplessly and watch.

      Then Dominic ended up getting thrown into prison on her birthday when she turned ten. Josephine found him that one afternoon at the empty racing circuit looming over Kenny Linder's body and smashing his face up with a wrench. There was blood everywhere which also stained her brother's hands.  

     Then she turned thirteen and thought she had every right to be angry at the world for ruining her family. Josephine found herself in the darkest places and realized that's where she could release her anger and frustration when she couldn't do it to herself. She got with a bad crowd and joined illegal things━underground fight clubs that taught her pain and how to live with it. Bruises and cuts that painted her skin showed that she had survived again and again.

     The fighting stopped at sixteen, and so did the petty crimes. That's when Josephine found her solace in cars. Her Honda S2000 barely looked like its name when she found it in an abandoned barn. Afterward, she poured all her time and effort into the thing and realized she rather enjoyed getting her hands dirty fixing engines and modifying cars instead of fighting strangers for the thrill of it.

     Racing became her getaway.

     A blue Honda suddenly screeched to a stop in front of the Toretto household, the vehicle fully rotating the other way around before it stopped just right beside the dim sidewalk. The car tires left skid marks on the asphalt, and smoke billowed out of the back as the driver stepped out with a small frown on her face. The street lights were the only source of light around her at this time of night.

     Hearing the furious noise of her sister's car outside, Mia peered through the windows of her room. She watched Josephine march up the front porch with hard footsteps, a deep furrow between her brows, and the door slammed loudly when she entered. Mia sighed, knowing her sister all too well. She barely gets angry but when she does━Josephine tends to be a little harsh and truthful. 

     Mia rushed down the stairs, searching for her. Her frown deepened when she saw Josephine taking a full swig of a cold beer in the kitchen. "What's wrong?"

     "Mia." Josephine closed the fridge, calming down a little when she turned around to face her. She pursed her lips, shaking her head. "What's wrong━is Dom."