𝟮𝟭. hope for what could be

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
my broken bones are mending

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐁rian O'Conner made another deal. Dominic helps him to catch Braga and for that, the FBI has to let him walk (he also made sure they wouldn't put abetting a criminal on Jo's file). It was a futile attempt but it was the thought that counts, I suppose. Josephine knew he just wanted the best for her family and that was for Dom to stop being a wanted criminal. A part of her hoped the FBI would follow his negotiation but it was a stretch to believe that they would actually let him go as a free man.

     They think Dominic Toretto was too dangerous to let him walk around freely.

     As for Braga, they had one last plan to attempt to catch him. Dominic managed to get ahold of Campos through Gisele Yashar━whom Josephine was beginning to like━and convinced him to meet up with them to get the rest of his money. A trade of some sort. Despite the strangeness of it all and the bad feeling she had, Josephine prepared to come with them even through their constant warnings for her not to go. There was no way she was going to miss this opportunity.

     The port looked empty at this time of night, the city lights overseeing the waters lit up the scenery. Josephine, Brian, and Dominic stood under an isolated highway bridge where they would meet Braga himself. The three stood along the truck with the four big cases of millions of money laid out next to them in a row. Impatience hung in the air and the anticipation of seeing the respected leader of the drug cartel.

     Josephine was well aware of the cops hiding somewhere in the cargo holds around them. They were watching through cameras, waiting to strike whenever Brian gave them a signal. It was slightly unnerving to know that they could easily change their mind and catch her brother instead. Dom was just right beside her. The choices were there but it seemed like Brian managed to convince his superiors for this moment to commence.

     "Well, the good news is, when we get this guy, you walk out of here a free man," Brian told Dom, breaking the tense silence between them. A bittersweet smile slipped on Josephine's lips when she glanced at them, Brian noticed.

     Dom seemed amused. "Is that what they told you?"

     "Yeah, that's the deal." Brian nodded, but there was an underlying tone in his voice that told them he also thought it was too good to be true.

    "You still put milk and cookies out for Santa Claus?" Dom said sarcastically, his arms crossed to his chest. His words earned a quiet laugh from his sister and the undercover agent who muttered an unsure and yet joking, Yeah.

     Tires screeched, signaling the arrival of somebody else in the port. Her gaze hardened upon seeing the green Torino stopped along with three other black vehicles. Of course, the drug lord brought backup. And Fenix was there. That enough fueled her need for revenge. Josephine shifted slightly, watching as multiple men stepped out of the cars, all of them armed with guns.

     "Here." Brian grabbed something out of his pocket, handing Dom what looked like a key. "In case things go shitty."

     Dom took the car key with a small sigh. Then he seemed to find it funny as he looked at it. "Just like old times?"

     "Yeah," Brian muttered.

     "Oye." Fenix marched toward them, reloading a pistol with a big threatening grin on his face. He taunted them. "You dropped something. That's what you wanted, right?"

     Her brother took a step forward, preparing to beat his face to a pulp and Brian tried to calm him down. Campos did the same with his man. Josephine gritted her teeth, wanting to wring the man's neck with her hands, but she stayed put. Her eyes surveyed the threats. They were outnumbered. And she particularly did not want to get caught in a crossfire right now no matter how much she wanted to hurt Fenix for killing Letty.