𝟭𝟭. too deep to climb out of

CHAPTER ELEVEN
we were flying but we'd never get far

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐒itting next to Brian as he drove his Supra felt like torture. Josephine had a thought of wanting to throw herself out of the opened windows to escape this chamber misery as he practically made the car fly on the empty road. Because she wanted it all to be a terrible nightmare where she would wake up and she would see Brian next to her and he would open his eyes and kiss her problems away.

     The thing was he was the problem in this one. Mia used to say Brian was her getaway car━her means of escape from the bad things in Josephine's life. She should've known that nothing good ever starts in a getaway car.

     Josephine always thought she knew everything about him. But I guess it was herself that she didn't know very well. And for some reason━even looking at this now stranger beside her in this car she'd helped build for him━something inside of her, the part that still liked him, was still seeking reasons not to leave him.

     Because ever since she was a kid, all she ever did was try to see the good in every person no matter what. Like her big brother. Dom did bad things he regretted but Josephine always knew he had a good heart. She continued to believe that there was still goodness even in the worst people because of her brother.

     Brian was not a bad person. She didn't need to find any good in him because he had already shown her. Instead, Josephine found herself betraying her beliefs and tried to find the bad in him instead. Because no matter how much she tried━the Toretto girl could not bring herself to hate any part of this man. Hate was such a strong word. She didn't hate him even though he lied to her.

    "The Civics are stashed somewhere outside of Thermal," Josephine told him as she went over the map of the state. She forced herself to focus on her brother instead, trying to ignore the needles pricking her heart every time Brian looked at her. "I don't know where they go after that."

     "And they wouldn't double back, and Highway 10 is just way too well patrolled," Brian said, becoming a little frustrated. He briefly glanced over at the map on her lap. "So what does━what does that leave us with?"

     Josephine clicked her tongue, gripping the map like she was about to tear it in half. "That leaves us with all this, Brian."

     There was a moment of silence before Brian decided on something. The wind blew harshly inside the car as he drove past the speed limit, the engines' roaring sounds were the only thing that filled the still and tense atmosphere between them. Her hair flew in different directions including the inside of Josephine's mouth and she furiously tried to put them into a low ponytail.

     Brian suddenly pulled out his phone and started dialing somebody. Josephine watched him like a hawk, suspicious and nervous.

     "Nextel."

     "Yeah. This is Officer Brian O'Conner." Her eyes shot towards him, her forehead creasing in disbelief but she didn't say anything. The harsh reality sinking in slowly. Josephine wanted to throw up. It almost felt like she just betrayed her brother by falling into this man's lies. "Serial number 34762. I need a cellphone trace."

     "Okay. What's the cell number?"

     "Jo, what's his cellphone number?" He immediately looked at her, waiting as he held one hand holding his phone up to his ear and the other on the wheel.