𝟭𝟳. the end began with a kiss

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
our secret moments in your crowded room

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐁rian O'Conner was such a petty little shit. I guess that's why Josephine ended up liking him in the first place all those years ago. He also seemed to always find a way to get himself involved in things he shouldn't even be messing with. That's how he ended up being a fugitive a few years ago because he just had to personally involve himself with his undercover mission. (In all honestly, Brian O'Conner did not regret any part of it).

    Josephine was just making herself comfortable by the bar counter when a certain blond decided to approach her. The party had been going on since past midnight and she had only been there for half an hour mingling with strangers and a bunch of other racers who took notice of her ride which she parked outside the club building.

     "You smoke?" Brian asked first thing when he noticed the unlit cigarette between her fingers that she mindlessly twirled around. He slid onto the space next to her, leaning his elbows on the counter, his sleeves riding down his wrists.

     Josephine didn't look at him, taking another bottle of Corona from the bartender. "I quit."

     Brian slightly frowned. That meant she did start smoking before. A part of him made him think it was his fault. His heart clenched. Josephine didn't mean to start smoking, but I suppose, as you get older, you find other ways to cope. Most of the time━dangerous ways.

     "You're really stubborn, you know that, right?" Josephine gave him a small glance before taking a swig of her usual Corona. From the corner of her eyes, she watched Dominic enter the club across the room full of party people. "It's kind of annoying."

     Brian subtly followed her gaze, noticing the unhappy look that immediately flashed across the older Toretto's face when he realized he was also there. Josephine decided to stand up and walk her brother's way as the man ordered his own Corona. Brian was already holding his own as he subconsciously followed her breaking through the crowd with purpose.

     "That's too bad about Dwight," Brian chimed in, taking a seat next to Dom was standing beside the counter. Josephine shook her head at the sarcasm in his tone as she went to stand within a safe distance from the blond. "Having the Feds raid your house the same night you make the team. So unfortunate."

     "I wish I could say I was surprised to see you here," Dominic muttered, grabbing the opened bottle of Corona. He glanced around as if he was threatening him. "What's to stop someone from telling them you're a cop?"

     "Trust me, brother," Josephine scoffed, making Brian look at her longer than he intended to, his blues softening the slightest every time they landed on her. "I've thought about it.

     Brian only looked amused. "Probably the same thing that's keeping me from telling them why you're really here."

     "What up, fellows?" Campos suddenly appeared out of nowhere, clapping a hand on Brian's back and patting Dominic's shoulder. He sent Josephine a big smile that made her feel uneasy. 

     "Hey, how you doing?" Brian feigned a smile and exchanged a greeting with the man.

     It was something he was pretty good at. Acting. Josephine thought with a slight scowl that disappeared as soon as Campos glanced at her. She gave their temporary boss the genuine and fakest smile she could muster. 

     "Great. You having a good time?" 

     "Yeah, a great time."

     "Come on, let's have a better time."