𝟮𝟲. in the heart of deceit

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
this is looking like a crime scene

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he first thing that Josephine did when she arrived back at the garage hideout was to check what the hell was so important with the GT40. Really. Because it didn't look much to her. Just a hunk of millions that costs more than the mortgage of their house back in LA. There was nobody back there when she reached her destination. Not even Vince. Her stomach bubbled with uncertainty, suddenly feeling a lot more worried than usual.

     Waiting was unbearable for the Toretto girl who never the the patience for it. She waited and waited and anxiously paced around for what seemed like hours, bit her nails down to the skin, and almost contemplated going out there to look for Brian and her brother.

     The radio that Josephine turned on spewed news about the recent train robbery in the Brazil channels, the extent of their actions coming to the surface. Apparently, everybody thinks they had killed those three DEA agents. Now they were twice as wanted as they were before, the police warning the people that they were armed and extremely dangerous.

     Josephine almost scoffed. She was dangerous. But she doubted holding a piece of metal pole could be called armed. Hell, she wished she had a gun. The thought of putting a bullet through the radio seemed like a pretty good idea right now, just to satisfy the simmering annoyance going through her at the moment.

     The second she heard a movement somewhere in the warehouse, Josephine was quick to slam the off button and grabbed the nearest thing to her for defense. Much to her luck, it was the metal pole she was talking about earlier. Her forehead creased, hearing the faint sound of footsteps getting closer. She put her back against the wall of a pillar in the middle of the spacious room, her grip around the pole tightening.

     She'd beat the hell out of anybody before she let them touch her. At some point, Josephine had a really funny thought. Maybe it was her maternal instincts finally showing up. For some reason, that didn't scare her. She never thought something like this would actually make her feel stronger and more determined than she already was. 

     Motherhood was going to make her formidable.

    The sound of the metal gate closing echoed throughout the empty warehouse and Josephine prepared herself for the worse. She tried to sneak a glance, waiting for whoever it was with a sense of caution. Then she heard somebody call her name, all her walls melting down instantly at the sound of the familiar voice she'd been wanting to hear.

     "Jo?" He repeated, a hint of worry in his tone, and Josephine couldn't help but smile in relief when she saw Brian O'Conner walk through the warehouse seemingly unharmed.

     "Brian." Josephine stepped out of her hiding spot, immediately throwing her arms around his neck, the man supported her with his own as they wrapped around her waist. He let out a sigh of relief, burying his nose on her shoulder, his eyes briefly closing as he hugged her. "Are you okay?"

     "It's okay. We're okay," Brian reassured softly, not wanting to let her go. He didn't open his eyes until they broke off from the hug. Josephine caressed the back of his neck for comfort, sharing a wordless moment with him to make sure they were fine as their gazes stayed on one another.

     Then Dominic appeared and Josephine sighed deeply, finally feeling at ease to see her boys back around her. There was one missing though. Her brother smiled ever so slightly, his eyes falling to her hand which still held a metal pole. His brow lifted in amusement, stepping forward to take the makeshift weapon from his sister.