𝟭𝟴. the fuel of my fire

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
i make the same mistakes every time

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐁rian was at the headquarters when the GPS began vibrating in his pocket. He had just given one of his fellow agents two shot glasses in a ziplock that Campos and that man in that room had used. It was evidence so she could search the prints on them. His brows furrowed, seeing nothing but the location downloading on the device's screen. I suppose his only job was to follow them. So that's what he did and in the most fashionable way.

     He sped the familiar streets of Los Angeles in his newly fixed blue Skyline. Not caring about the fact that he probably just violated a hundred laws as he pressed the gas further, overtaking other cars after another. It wasn't like they could do anything about it. His thoughts abruptly ended when his phone started ringing on the passenger seat.

     Mindlessly, he reached for it and answered the call with one hand on the steering wheel. He didn't slow down either. "Yeah?"

     "That's your third traffic violation in less than three blocks." Penning's voice sounded through the phone, sounding agitated. "Slow it down, O'Conner."

     Brian clenched his jaw and hastily ended the call, throwing his phone on the passenger seat. "Sure thing, Dad."

     He ended up doing the opposite and went over the speed limit to piss them off, feeling a lot more smug knowing they were tracking his car via satellite. The undercover agent was just getting into it when his eyes flickered to something familiar waiting by the stoplight. A midnight blue Honda S2000. It was almost as if it was waiting for him to pass by this specific road. The corner of his lips turned up ever so slightly.

     Brian slowed down beside the car, briefly glancing at the stoplight as it turned yellow. Then he looked at the Honda when the windows rolled down, revealing Josephine Toretto inside as she put her shades up her head. Her eyebrow raised in a way she always does when she's questioning something, and Brian tried not to smile as he revved his engine as if he was challenging her.

     "Round two?" Brian asked a little louder over the distance between him and her car.

     Josephine scoffed slightly, amused as she put her sunglasses down and turned to the traffic ahead of them. "Try to catch up, O'Conner."

     They went head to head with each other, their fast cars dancing in the streets in daylight, like a whole salsa dance that they memorized too well. They ignored the angry beeping from all the other cars driving around them, too caught up in their own little world as they smiled subconsciously inside their vehicles. They didn't drive recklessly but the speed enough could give someone a heart attack.

     Josephine managed to overtake him the last minute, and she drove inside the empty warehouse first, Brian following behind her in his Skyline. A guy was waiting by the entrance, a rifle clutched in his hand as he inspected them. She could see a large truck parked on the side before she found her brother and the rest of the drivers in their cars with Campos and his men waiting for them outside their black van. She made eye contact with Dominic who had an unreadable expression on his face.

     Her scowl returned, stopping just right beside the random truck as Brian parked between her and Dominic. Campos's men began to walk forward and Josephine realized they were about to inspect their cars even further. Her worried eyes briefly flickered to her brother━who was ever so calm like nothing worried him━and then at Brian, knowing all too well something had to be inside that car of his. He was an undercover agent. Josephine had to remind herself that.