𝟮𝟴. promise is a fairy tale

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
burning brighter than the sun

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he team assembled one by one in the hidden location that Josephine, Dom, and Brian had sent out to their people across the globe. It was an abandoned industrial complex that was once a repair facility in the middle of Rio where there wasn't a lot of civilization. A perfect place and a perfect hideout for secret meet-ups and planning strategies to bring down the most dangerous guy in Rio de Janeiro. 

     Roman Pearce was the first to arrive. The man who could bullshit his way out of anything. From all the things Josephine heard about him━she knew she'd either get along just fine with the guy or possibly become enemy number one. Their personalities clashed like a ticking time bomb, Brian had thought. Their smart mouths could get them both in trouble and out of trouble.

     Although he was pretty sure his girlfriend now had more control over it than his loudmouthed childhood friend hailing all the way from Barstow. 

     The rest of them piled inside the warehouse, a bunch of familiar faces with different backgrounds and ethnicities coming together as one. It was almost unbelievable when you know their personalities. Most of them were just getting to know each other when Dominic, Brian, and Josephine made themselves known to their newly formed team.

     "I see you all have met," Dom spoke as he walked forward.

     "O'Conner."

     "There he is."

     "You know when you called me to come to Rio, I assumed it would be for something more exciting than this," Gisele Yashar said playfully before throwing his arms around Dominic for a hug.

     All their friends acknowledged them with smiles on their faces. Her brows lifted, sharing a glance with Brian who grinned at her before going over to greet his friends. He seemed genuinely happy to see familiar faces he hadn't seen for a long time. Josephine shook her head and turned to the rest of them.

     "There's our Josie." Han Lue looked the same as she last saw him. Years ago, back in Los Angeles when she found the man prancing around her garage with a pack of chips in his hand and a small box of letters in the other. Dom's letters that he couldn't send. He took it upon himself to give it to her that day.

     "Hey, Chip," Josephine grinned, using the nickname she'd given him the first time as she gave him a big hug. Santos and Leo looked delighted to see her, and she gave them both a welcoming embrace. She flashed them a smirk, casually transitioning her words to Spanish. "Welcome back, boys."

     Santos chuckled. "Good to be back, jefe."

     "Aye-aye." Leo playfully saluted her.

    "If it isn't my girl, Josephine Toretto."

     The aforementioned girl hastily turned around, finding Gisele Yashar behind her with a big smile that reached her eyes. The last time she'd seen her was in Mexico where she had helped them with Braga's location. Before that, Gisele almost got run over by a car. Good times. Her hazel eyes twinkled, letting the slightly taller girl clad in black leather and combat boots engulf her in another embrace. 

     "Good to see you, Yashar," Josephine uttered teasingly.

     "You too, Toretto," Gisele said with a sly grin. Then her narrowed gaze glinted. "Or is it O'Conner now?"

     "Shut up," Josephine laughed, gently smacking her arm as she let the grinning girl acquaint herself with the others. She naturally drifted toward Brian and her brother who was talking with the former's two friends━the other, his childhood friend, and the latter from Miami. "Hey."