𝟮𝟳. a shot in the dark

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
strike a match then you blow it out

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀s they deliberated, Josephine couldn't shake off the nagging thought that lingered in the back of her mind━the truth she had yet to share with Brian. The revelation of her pregnancy weighed on her heart, adding a layer of vulnerability to their already complicated situation. She stole a glance at Brian, wondering how he would react when she finally found the courage to tell him.

     "So what is that?" Brian mused, slightly turning in his seat to look at Dominic behind them. "A hundred million plus in cash houses?"

     "That's how he keeps it off the grid," Dom stated.

     The blond smirked ever so slightly. "I think it's safe to say that Reyes is smart to want this back. I mean, it's his whole network right there, just laid out on a chip."

     "That's his first mistake," Josephine chuckled dryly, the guys scoffing in agreement as they looked at each other.

     Then she realized something. It was now or never. This was her chance. So in that space, Josephine Toretto finally made up her mind. But as the words spilled out of her lips that often spoke unwise things and ill-ridden words for terrible people━those important words that could've changed the trajectory of their lives were drowned out by the sound of something clattering outside. Somewhere far off, a dog in the faveas barked, and followed by glass crunching underfoot.

     Danger. Their eyes flickered to each other, alarmed, because following that noise were multiple footsteps nearing them. Within a second, they all made a haste decision to escape the impending doom. They'd found them. Hernan Reyes's people found them. Josephine thought it was getting so old how something kept interrupting her. So believe me when I say, she was pissed off.

     Hernan Reyes's men burst through the front door, storming in the building, armed to the bone, and they had come to kill them. Bullets rained on just as Josephine managed to throw herself over the space atop a wall, Brian after her. She didn't stop and stare, but the minute Brian appeared next to her━they all bolted away from the warehouse, making a quick escape in the back as Reyes's men surged inside the place.

     Dominic stayed behind, stubbornly enough. He left no room for argument, already warning Brian to not let Josephine come back for him. While his sister and the former agent ran, Dom fought the rest of the men who piled inside the warehouse to give them a headstart. He hoped Josephine hadn't stopped and beat up someone already. He needed her safe and sound, and he trusted Brian to make sure of that.

     Josephine ran like hell.

     The narrow walkways and stone steps of the favelas weren't easy to navigate, and her feet hurt, truth to be told. She kept her pace though, knowing the bad guys weren't far behind. Brian stayed close behind her, letting her lead the way. As they were just rounding another corner, two armed men blocked their way at the end.

     Brian surged forward, kicking away the wooden gate, which sent the two men toppling over the ground. Then he went to surprise the other with a sucker punch in the face. His actions didn't cease and he wasn't hesitating. Not when they could possibly hurt Josephine who begrudgingly let him do all the fighting. Maybe if she wasn't possibly pregnant, she would've helped him with it, too.

     Brian ushered her to run after he incapacitated the men. He didn't need to tell her twice. Her partner trusted her quick decisions as they turned into sharp corners and even more narrower walkways squished between houses built upon unconventional grounds. But the bad guys caught sight of them too quickly, and they knew the twists and turns of the favelas more than them.