𝟮𝟱. both worlds are deceptive

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
she said careful or you'll lose it

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐉osephine was good at acting like she was fine when everything seemed to be falling apart. But she was better at pretending nothing was happening when clearly, it was eating her up on the inside. Because as she walked back to the living room to where Vince and Brian were talking around the table━Josephine plastered a fake smile on her face when they looked at her as she emerged from the kitchen, looking like she wasn't just throwing her guts up in the bathroom.

    She was so good at it that they merely flashed her a smile in return, warmth encasing their features as the Toretto girl walked around them to sit on the empty chair next to Brian. The blond took a swig off his beer, never taking his gaze off her as she sat down. Josephine tilted her head ever so slightly, noticing the questioning crease between his brows. She sent him a tight-lipped smile and a slight touch on his knee to reassure him.

     "So, listen." Vince broke the silence after making sure his wife and son were sound asleep. He looked at Brian and Josephine. "There's a job coming up."

     Instantly, both of them looked at the man. They were clearly unsure, the two sporting similar expressions on their faces. A look of uncertainty. The couple didn't say anything though and they let Vince keep talking about this job.

     "I was hoping Dom was going to be here by now but this one is clean enough we can do it without him," Vince stated, causing Brian to look at Josephine, seeking her opinion instead of creating his own. Josephine merely pursed her lips, running her fingers through her hair. Vince noticed their reluctance. "It's a good gig. Couple of high-end cars, easy targets. Guy I know is putting together a team to swipe them. Just need a few more willing bodies."

     "I don't know," Brian muttered as he stared at Josephine, clearly torn.

     "Look, the way the car scene is down here we can unload them quick and get top dollar. It's easy money." Vince tried to persuade them and it was working because they badly needed money. That was something they couldn't deny. "And from where I am sitting, it looks like you both could use the payday."

     Brian glanced at him, his jaw clenching because he was right. Then he looked over at Josephine and they exchanged looks with each other, considering his statement. Then they shared a silent agreement. From their position, it was obvious there was no other way for them to earn money. At some point, Josephine almost wanted to tell Brian that she could possibly be pregnant and then backed out at the last minute when she realized their current situation. 

     She cannot burden him with this right now. As selfish as that sounds. But Josephine wasn't stupid either. She'd do everything to make sure this kid inside of her would be safe. She wasn't living for one life now. She still had to remind herself that now and then. Coping with the fact that she might be pregnant was terrifying but she was more afraid of losing this child because she didn't know how to take care of it.

     The walk back to the car was quiet and their heavy footsteps lagged on the cracked pavements on the narrow streets of the favelas. It was way past midnight, the sun was barely grazing the horizon which they could barely see from the stacks of buildings on the hills. Josephine stopped beside the door of the passenger's seat, taking a deep breath as the possible consequences of this job crashed down on her.

     Brian's presence lingered behind her. A hand slipped around her waist and another around her shoulders and he put his head on the crook of her neck, pressing a gentle kiss on her jawline. Then he murmured: "Are you sure you're up for this?"