𝟭𝟲. appearances are shallow

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
didn't they tell you that i was a savage

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he street racing scene never fails to make Josephine Toretto feel alive. The night hung heavy over Koreatown, its streets alive with the thrum of engines and the shimmer of neon lights from the cars of the street racers that had congregated around the secluded area. Cars of all make and models lined up on the side of the streets at the rendezvous point, their engines rumbling like a symphony tuning up for a grand performance.

     Conversations were drowned by the rhythmic purr of engines idling, and amidst the sea of cars, men, and women, there was Josephine Toretto. She stood by her midnight-blue car, the Honda S2000's newly polished chrome glimmering at the slightest flash of light. The rest of the racers were already there scattered in the underground garage with their cars and ladies in their arms.

     Her nose wrinkled in disdain. Men. Then her empty gaze flickered upwards where a familiar face was playing golf above the whole scene. Ramon Campos. Apparently, he was Braga's number two and closest accomplice. He was the one overseeing the race and who was going to pick the driver who'd get to fill the two empty slots they had. (Josephine made sure to sneak a few tricks to her racing later to impress him).

     "This yours?" Josephine turned her head, finding Brian O'Conner standing by the hood of her car. Now he actually looked like himself. His pair of black Vans on his feet and light-colored jeans that he liked to wear. 

      Josephine sighed exasperatedly, turning away. "What are you doing here?"

     Brian purposely ignored her question and trudged around to go near her as she stubbornly paid him no attention. His fingers traced the new chrome wrap on her Honda. "I didn't know you still had this."

     "You don't know a lot of things," Josephine retorted, briefly glaring at his face when he appeared in front of her. She studied him quietly then her surroundings. Her eyes landed on the blue Nissan Skyline R34 that stuck out like a sore thumb since she knew who owned it. "You're going to race."

     "So are you." Brian stared at her. His brows furrowed ever so slightly. "How'd you get in?"

     "You think you're the only one with connections?" Josephine scowled.

     She walked off and Brian followed her like a stubborn mule. Then one of Braga's drivers from last time decided to open his stupid mouth. Her eyes narrowed even more. There were three pretty women around him, one on each arm, and the boy had this smug look on his face that Josephine was tempted to wipe off with a punch.

     "Hey." The long-haired blond snickered as he looked at Brian who stood behind her. "What are you looking at, nutsack?"

     Brian shrugged, becoming amused. "I don't know. You tell me."

     "Oh. The racer wants what Dwight's got." He smirked, glancing at the women who played along with pretty smiles and eyes. "See, but ladies, Dwight's already on the team. You gotta be fast if you want to drive for Braga."

     Josephine scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief. She was about to leave when Dwight had the audacity to whistle at her. He eyed her as if she was a meal, which made the amusement on Brian's face disappear instantly as he tensed up for a second before standing protectively beside her. Suddenly, Brian didn't like a single word that came out of this guy's mouth.

     "Hey, mami, you seem like a girl who likes fast things,"  Dwight drawled, making kissy faces and winking at her rather excessively. "How about Dwight takes you on a drive after this?"