𝟭𝟬. a means to an end

CHAPTER TEN
she's been dancing with the devil all night

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝐉esse lost the race. Josephine wished she could say it was the opposite but the moment he faced Tran on that track━he had already lost. His Honda S2000 was far better than hers, with better engines and car parts. Tran wasn't the best driver but he could race, and Josephine really hated that he practically took advantage of Jesse. Her heart dropped when she watched the white Volkswagen Jetta suddenly speed out of the track and onto the desert without a certain direction.

"Where's he going?" Josephine stepped forward, squinting her eyes as the Jetta disappeared into the distance. She let go of Brian's hand and marched off to find her brother. "Shit."

It turned out Leon had already beaten her to it. He had told Dominic and Vince and they were more worried than mad about it because they knew Jesse. He never had a mean bone in his lanky body. As she neared them, Josephine realized Brian had been swept away by the crowd, but she was too busy looking for her family only to find Johnny Tran already there. One thing was for sure, the man did not look very happy, even the sound of his engines was pissed.

Tran marched towards the group who was already expecting trouble. "Where is he going?"

"He went to the car wash." Dominic was a terrible liar.

"Whatever," Tran snapped. "Go fetch my car."

"Go fetch your car?" Dominic tilted his head slowly. He waved a warning finger to the gang leader's face. "We're not on your block anymore. You better watch who you talk to like that." Then he turned his back on him, not wanting to put up with his shit.

"Toretto!" Tran suddenly yelled. A crowd was already gathering around the commotion and Josephine wished she could just punch him in the face and get over it already. "Toretto!"

Dominic begrudgingly turned back to him.

"SWAT came into my house... disrespected my whole family because somebody narked me out!" Tran continued shouting at Dom's face, the anger growing the longer he stood there. "And you know what? It was you!"

Josephine was about to launch forward at his accusation but Dominic had done the honor of punching him first. That earned a lot of surprised noises from the people. Vince grabbed the Toretto girl's arm, pulling her from harm's way as her older brother went to beat up the poor man on the ground.

Her breath caught when Dominic began punching him repeatedly. Josephine froze, the sound of everybody yelling and talking around her suddenly became an irritating buzz in her ears. Her eyes widened as they remained on her brother's back where he let his anger get the best of him. Suddenly Josephine was ten again and she was crying and begging and screaming at her big brother to stop.

"Dom," Josephine croaked out, her voice coming out as a pitiful cry. She tried to pry Vince's hand off her arm because his grip was getting too tight. He didn't seem to notice but it was beginning to hurt. She choked out: "Dominic!"

Even Letty had punched Tran's cousin before he could help him. Leon was pulling bystanders away and the security tried so hard to grab Dominic from Johnny Tran as he writhed on the scorching ground. Vince finally disappeared from beside her as he went to help the guards pull Dom away.