𝟭𝟱. a house of cards

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
looking right at the other half of me

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀s expected an FBI agent was already waiting for the Toretto sisters just outside their house in the middle of the night. The only source of light came from the orange glow of the street lamps. The annoyance was clear on the older girl as she spitefully marched up the sidewalk by their driveway. Mia followed idly close behind her, eyeing the agents as her sister purposely ignored the man in the black suit as he tried to approach them.

     "Miss and Miss Toretto. I'm Michael Stasiak, FBI." He flashed his badge to the women as his partner stepped out of the vehicle and stood beside them as if they were going to make a run for it. Josephine's glare deepened. "Let's you and I have a little chat."

     "Mia, you stay here."

     "Miss Josephine━"

     "No," Josephine said firmly, taking them all in surprise. Then again, it was clearly stated on her file that the Toretto girl has a series of problems with any authority. "She cannot be bothered by this. Mia stays. I'll go."

     "Jo━" Mia went to argue but with one look from her older sister, she begrudgingly clipped her mouth as a frown replaced her features. "Fine."

     The agents shared a reluctant look. Then Stasiak nodded. "All right."

     "Good," Josephine mumbled, leaving no room for argument.

     Josephine had no idea how long she had been there at the FBI headquarters within these four walls that made her feel suffocated. Sure, she had been arrested a few times and thrown in a jail cell but nothing like this. She didn't even do anything wrong and yet being encased with stone walls with no exit made her feel like somebody was figuring out everything about her and putting blame all around.

     Her fingers tapped anxiously on her arm as she crossed them over her chest, constantly glancing around as she sat on a metal bench. Agent Stasiak was in front of her, seated at the corner of a table and Josephine hadn't been listening to a word he'd been saying since they got there. His words echoed past her ears as she stared blankly on the concrete floor like she'd rather be anywhere but there.

     Suddenly, the agent had to leave after someone apparently called him down somewhere. Her eyes narrowed, watching the man leave which left her alone with another agent who stayed around her. She let out a small sigh, uncrossing her arms as she leaned back and pressed the back of her head on the wall. Her dress from the night still hugged her body and the heels she had was becoming a little uncomfortable.

     The door buzzed open again, and Josephine almost rolled her eyes when she saw who it was that decided to grace her with his presence.

     "Hey, Tyler, we got a transfer," Brian O'Conner told the guy behind the desk before walking over to the Toretto girl who had the most bored look on her face. As soon as the other agent left, he spoke: "You want to come with me?"

     "Do I have a choice?" Josephine scoffed under her breath as she looked up at him. She hesitated. Then realized she had better chances out there than inside this plain room. She was not in the mood to be interrogated.

     Now, they sat in a local cafe diner across from each other by the windows. There were a few people around them, conversing about their lives. The smell of brewed coffee traveled around the place, giving a pleasant aroma. But nothing about strangers sitting across from each other after years with a hundred secrets they knew about one another was pleasant at all.