𝟮𝟮. anger is like drinking poison

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
but we might just get away with it

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐌exico was a beauty, Josephine thought as she drove through the unfamiliar streets in her 1999 Impreza. There were a lot of cobblestone houses, and little children were running around on the road, playing soccer with each other in the harsh sunlight. They had bright smiles on their innocent faces despite the simplicity of what they found joy in. It was a big contrast to what they were about to face in these same streets.

     They knew exactly where Arturo Braga was going to be. The three had been watching him and his goons from afar and tracking his movements all throughout Mexico. For some reason, Braga ended up in an isolated part where a church stood in the middle of it all. They observed as the drug cartel leader stepped out of his vehicle and entered the cathedral with nobody else as he advised his men to stand outside the holy place instead.

     Fenix wasn't there. Josephine noticed. It was too bad, but she tried to focus on their sole mission for now. Taking down Braga means taking down the rest of them and that included Fenix. She just needed a little patience to get through this. Her gaze flickered to Brian and Dom as they hid behind the church, waiting for their chance to ambush Braga inside the home of Jesus. Their first mistake was leaving the backdoor unguarded because that's where they were going to be.

     How ironic it was for a drug cartel leader to kneel and bow down to God as he prayed? It was almost comical. Then again, Josephine wasn't one to judge. Perhaps it was his way of retribution for his sins. Maybe he believed God's forgiveness would rise over the countless people who would never forgive him for the things he'd done. Well, Josephine was one of them. Not even God could save him now.

     Brian looked over to Josephine, reloading his pistol. "You've got this?"

     Josephine took out the Desert Eagle she'd been hiding under her shirt and showed it to him with a small dry smile. "You bet."

     As soon as the priest left Braga by the altar, together, the three of them surged forward further inside and made themselves known to the drug cartel leader. The firearms in their hands seemed to weigh less even in the presence of God. Because if taking down this man was a sin, they were prepared to be a sinner. The man's praying got cut off short by the sound of guns cocking and urgent footsteps out to get him. 

     "You ain't forgiven," Dominic spat as he pointed the barrel of his shotgun at the man's head.

     "You boys and girls want to arrest me?" Braga almost looked amused to see them, eliciting more suspicion from the FBI agent. "Aquí mismo?"

     "No, we're beyond that," Brian said firmly.

     His aim was pointed lower than Dom's because one unarmed man didn't need that many guns at him. Braga wouldn't be much of a danger if he didn't have all his men and money that protect him. He and Josephine kept a close eye on their surroundings instead, letting Dominic do all the work. The possibility of anybody walking into this room was high. There were multiple armed men beyond those doors. They knew that.

     "You can't buy your way out of this one."

     "Hermano, you and me... You and me, we're not so different. You're no hero."

     Dominic pumped his shotgun, pointing it directly at Braga's face, which made his companions turn to them. Josephine's eyes narrowed into slits, noticing the hint of acceptance on the cartel leader's face as he shut his eyes. Like he was prepared to greet his fate with no fight. It was almost funny that this well-respected man in his own sick world wanted to die like a little coward. He didn't deserve to die. Men like him needed to suffer with the knowledge of the horrible things they'd done to people.