𝟬𝟳. see with the naked eye

CHAPTER SEVEN
we're the masters of our own fate

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐉osephine had an unexplainable relationship with her older brother where they kept trying to get mad at each other but the other one always tried to fix things over and over until they were fine. Dom was the fixer. Not her. She only makes things worse. Not better. And certainly, most of the time all she did was ruin things for the sake of herself. Well, at least that's what she thought.

     Because everything Josephine Toretto touches━she ruins.

     Her thoughts drifted to a certain blue-eyed boy with honey curls like he'd never known how to not be perfect. Brian Spilner was the epitome of a sun. He held a certain warmth despite his hard exterior that he tried to keep up. His bright smile was infectious. And he was the central to her newfound bliss. He was her getaway car like Mia had said, and a part of her will always try to steal one last ride every chance she gets.

     Maybe it was because he didn't look at her like she was this fragile girl with a sensitive past. Or an annoyingly stubborn one that pushed people away just because she wanted to. Josephine never wanted to. But feelings were dangerous things. She tried not to make it the most of her when she realized it was something that could destroy her.

     It could. If she let it. Because for some reason, if having feelings for Brian was something that could ruin her━Josephine was afraid she might let it. She was afraid that maybe this time, this man might ruin her just the same way she did to all the people she ever loved.

     The girl looked up from the engine of the new car they were setting up except she was alone at this time of day at the garage. Too early for everybody but not for her. She squinted slightly as the garage doors fully opened before somebody entered with light footsteps. Immediately, her eyebrows shot up when she realized who it was.

     "You're up early." Josephine mimicked his words from the last time with a faint smirk.

     "Hey, Jo." Brian grinned, teeth and all. His skin looked flushed from the early morning weather of Los Angeles. He wore a faded blue shirt today, making his eyes look a little grayer than usual. "What you up to?"

     She shrugged, raising a random part of the engine to attach. "Putting a few pieces together to make it easier for the guys."

     "Need any help?" Brian asked, lingering around her as he eyed the piece of new machinery.

     "Yeah." Josephine nodded, growing amused at the sight of his expectant face. He seemed to genuinely want to help her but she really didn't need help at the moment. "You can sit next to me and watch."

     The blond chuckled, shaking his head at the girl. "You sure?"

     "Hm." She clicked her tongue, carefully attaching one engine part after another to the bigger machine. "Might need a pretty face to look at now and then to give me energy."

    "That all you need?" Brian sat next to her and she turned to face him. The man was raising his brows and shamelessly looking at every inch of her face. They lingered on her lips before he had to force himself out of it. 

     Josephine noticed but she only chuckled. "For now."

     The two spent the whole day hanging out at the auto shop, getting to know each other better and learning new things. Josephine taught him about the secret of racing and tips on how he could win the next time he races. Brian listened. With a smile as he watched her face lit up from talking about what she liked. He was beginning to realize just how much he liked her the more he saw who she truly was.