Chapter twenty seven

Crap. Crap. Crap! That was all I could think as I surfed the internet for something to get Aiden for her birthday. The obvious solution would be to get her books, but I wanted her birthday gift from me to be something special, that no one else would have thought of...plus I am pretty sure everyone else is getting her books. Ian suggested to just buy her a necklace or something, but that is something any guy could do. Breanna said it would be romantic if I wrote her a song, but I can't write songs or play an instrument so that was out of the question. Owen said I should just get her a boyfriend that knows what she would want, which earned him a punch in the arm. I tried to discreetly ask her what she wanted, by bringing up what she had asked Alyssa and Randy for, and she said "Nothing". A part of me wishes she wasn't one of those girls that can't ask for something. I already knew what I was doing that day, after she went and got her drivers license, she was going to come over to my house where I was going to give her the gift I do not have. Then we are going over to her place for Larah's tea party, which will come before the dinner which the whole gang is showing up for.

"What are you staring at?" Aiden asked me when she was at my house for tutoring on Tuesday. We were reviewing for the English midterm that was coming up after Christmas break, and I got distracted by staring at her, trying to figure out some gift.

"My amazing girlfriend." I said. The thing is...I have been bragging to Aiden that I got her a great gift, even though I got nothing so I couldn't exactly tell her the full truth.

"Haha." She said in a mocking monotone voice. "Now get back to reviewing your essay formats."

"Ugh." I groaned. "But that is no where near as fun."

"Sucks doesn't it." She smirked and left the room, I assumed for more popcorn.

"Hey what's the difference between affect and effect?" I shout out to her.

"Affect is when something is being influenced and effect is the result." She shouted back and I could here the microwave spinning. "Why would you even need to know that? I thought I told you to study essay formats."

"Duh I am looking at cause and effect essays." I yelled just as mom enters the house.

"Stop yelling or the neighbors will call the police." She jokes.

"Sorry." Aiden said when she came out of the kitchen with a bowl of popcorn. Mom was perfectly fine helping herself to some.

I came out of the living room and saw that mom had a bunch of groceries in the car. "You want me to put them away?"

"I'll do it." Aiden said. "Gabe has studying to do."

"Yes Gabe go study." Mom said.

"Fine." I agreed but brought my stuff into the kitchen so I could inspect the food she had bought.

Aiden and Mom brought in the groceries and started to put them away. It took a lot of my will power not to jump up when I saw cookies in one of the bags.

"Elch." Mom said looking in the mirror. "My hair seems to get greyer every day, and I think I need to start using anti-aging cream."

"Of course not Tristan." Aiden said. "You look great."

"You really think so honey?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, it's hard to believe you have a teenage son."

"I wish you would stop flirting with my mother." I said without looking up my text book.

"It's not flirting, it's just being nice." Aiden pointed out.

"I'm sorry but I am a guy, and most guys don't act nice unless they are flirting." I stated.