One Explanation

Creed barged into the station with Killian behind him. It was full of cops, some from Big Rock, which was impressive at five thirty in the morning. There were fifteen officers missing and two were their chiefs. Bear Hornsby and Kyle Spencer. Creed was nervous.

"What's this about, Moonridge?" Office Todd Journey was leading this.

"Hello. Morning. I just need a few minutes of your time." Creed cleared his throat. "Please?"

Killian spoke up. "We have a little experience with what we're dealing with. I can tell you what it isn't. This isn't some cult or satanic worshipers." He paused. "We know what it is and we're not responsible but we can help. You have to trust us. It'll be better if we have trust first." He looked around at the group of people.

"I'm Killian and this is my brother, Creed. I'm a science teacher at the high school and Creed's fixing up our house." He paused.

"Creed's engaged to Haven Duncan. The thing that is taking people, it's a vampire." Killian stopped and waited for people's idiotic reactions. It was chaos. Most of them were complaining about being awake so early for this stupidity.

Killian was angry about their natural reaction. "Shut up! I know what this sounds like. I also know that they are real. I know because Creed's a vampire. He only kills animals in the forest. He doesn't harm people." More unrest. A couple of them were laughing. Todd didn't find this amusing and Dave Flante was concerned that these men were crazy. And he liked the brothers.

Killian pressed on. "Right. I would have agreed with anything you're thinking now, five years ago. I didn't believe they were real either. Vampires are a myth, a legend. Right?" He paused. "Well, no. They're real and you have to get to that truth soon." Killian was trying.

Creed spoke up. "Everything I say is life and death. One vampire can take out a town this size in one night."

People were laughing. Creed joined them. It was ridiculous. The idea of vampires being real was laughable. He wished they weren't real. He wished this was just a crazy dream or a nightmare. He wished he could go back and change his choices. This was his reality and all he could do from here is to make better choices.

"Killian." Creed wasn't ready but this was the only way. Killian pulled the crucifix from his pocket. He held it up. People joked and pointed. Killian handed it to Creed.

Creed cursed and held it as long as he could. He looked like a vampire and his hand was smoking. He finally dropped it and his hand was healing from the burns. He looked out at the crowd that wasn't laughing. Guns were being drawn. "Vampires are real because I am one." Creed took a breath.

"You okay?" Killian put an arm around Creed.

Creed nodded and looked at the shocked faces with guns ready and aimed. "You are my people and I don't kill. I live off animals. This vampire doesn't hold to my code of conduct." He took a breath to control the pain as it slowed. "I tried to track him once and ended up in jail. I need your help." He looked around as the vampire was fading. "I know it's weaknesses but I can't find it."

"Who says you're not working together and get us out there and kill us all." One officer asked. He was scared.

Creed smiled and disappeared. He rushed around the room and took all of their guns before they knew he moved. He was standing beside Killian like he didn't move. "Because I could have killed you all in this room just now. I took your side arms to prove it." He pointed at the box of weapons on the table.

Killian stared at his brother. He didn't know that Creed could do that.

"I would never kill a person. I love it here and if I kill everyone then it would just be me and I don't love myself that much!" Creed smiled.

There was silence in the room when everyone realized that Creed wasn't lying. Their sidearms were gone and some of the officers had been holding them.

Officer Dave Flante spoke up. "What do we need to do, Creed?"

"First, keep a cross or crucifix on you. Two, if you can. Always double up. Keep them someplace that you can get to if you are attacked. Size doesn't matter." Creed thought that was funny but no one laughed. Maybe another time. "They won't kill a vampire but it can cause pain. Use them to get away."

"I need everyone that isn't hunting with us to stay inside a church building. I can show you which ones. We don't like them. Sunlight is effective but then I couldn't help." Creed stopped. He didn't want to divulge everything.

"If we hunt him during the day, we won't find him. He sleeps. He will be hunting at night. It will be easier to find him when he's roaming."

Killian spoke up. "I'm staying in the church with people. We can stay safe in town, just as a precaution."

"When do we need to be ready?" Dave Flante asked.

"At sundown tonight, we hunt. Get everyone safe before then. It's supposed to be a sunny day so you will be safe until sunset. I don't know what to expect from this vampire and he could have made more by now. Be ready." Creed sighed.

"What makes you so different?" Officer Drew Camp asked. His eyes grazed Creed but landed on Killian. They made eye contact until Drew looked down.

"I don't know." Creed wanted to be honest. "I really don't but I hope you trust me."

"I trust you, Creed. With my life." Killian promised.

Dave Flante smiled. "As do I. You had tons of opportunity when we arrested you."

A few others also agreed. They were all going to have to by tonight. "Thanks. Just get things together and get the word out by sunset. Thanks for listening to me. I will do what I can." Creed half smiled and left the Sheriff's office.

Killian was beside him. "That went well."

"No one shot me if that's what you mean." Creed smiled. Killian just chuckled. He sighed. His mind was on Drew Camp. He got to see him again.

They walked around the town and made a list of the buildings that Creed didn't like. He was hoping that it was a vampire thing. He was sure people would be safe. They dropped the list off at the Sheriff's and headed home. Killian wanted to get some sleep and Creed laid down with Haven and loved him.