One Video

Sheriff Hornsby was lying in his hospital bed in his private room when Todd Journey, Sheriff Kyle Spencer, and Deputy Sheriff Greg Stills walked in. Greg was taking point on this negotiation.

Bear was not the easiest person to deal with. Greg grew up with Bear and worked with him for ten years, he knew how to get around this very stubborn man. He hoped. This subject was a little touchy. Vampires.

Greg cleared his throat. "Bear."

"How's the leg, Sir?" Todd asked.

Bear smiled. "It's fine. I'm on some nice painkillers now and there was no infection so that's great." He nodded and took a breath. "So, what happened out there?" He watched the three men. These were men he trusted and he never doubted them.

Greg cleared his throat. He didn't want to be the one to say it out loud. Kyle stepped forward. "Fucking vampires!" He watched Bear. He had known him for fifteen years.

Bear just laughed. "Right! So, a satanic cult?" It was all he thought, Satan worshipers would be afraid of crosses, right? It was much easier to believe that it was crazy humans and not vampires... that didn't exist.

Kyle laughed as Greg and Todd stared. "Uh, no, Sir. Did you watch the video?"

Bear smiled. "Oh, I did. It's all crap but it was a nice try. Where's the real video? I mean this is a funny joke for April Fool's Day but I don't have time right now!"

Greg nodded. "Sir, that is the real video." He looked at Todd. They were the same height and shorter than Kyle. He was a tall, stick man. Bear was a brick house and properly named. He cleared his throat.

Kyle tried again. "Bear. I would never play games with you at a time like this. I spent last night writing my report. We all did, everyone that was in that cave. All of our reports match. There were twenty of us, plus the ten that came to help. All of the reports are the same. We're not making it up. I know what I saw." He knew Bear well enough to know he wouldn't listen. Seeing is believing.

"Fuck off, Kyle!" Bear was getting mad. He didn't like this game. "I want to see the real video now."

Greg shook his head. "He saved our asses out there. He saved my life, Bear." He was talking about Creed.

Kyle nodded. "Creed saved Big Rock and Red River. Those people in the church building would have died also."

"I'm not sure I trust him." Bear wasn't budging easily.

"I do," Todd said plainly. "I trust him with my life. He could have killed us all in the station. I saw it. He took our sidearms in less than five seconds. He could have killed us all." He took a breath.

Kyle nodded. "I trust Creed with my life."

Creed took this as he cue to walk in. He knew Sheriff Hornsby wouldn't believe them. The three men had no idea that he had followed them. He stepped beside Kyle and Kyle almost hit the ceiling. "Creed!"

"Sorry! I just...I knew he wouldn't believe you." Creed touched Kyle's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Fine! My heart is working just fine." Kyle took a breath.

"It's getting a workout for sure." Creed smiled. "Todd, Greg? Are you both okay?" They both nodded. Creed looked at Sheriff Hornsby. "Sir?"

"About time you asked the man in the hospital bed!" Bear glared. "I'm fantastic. I can't walk without crutches for a couple of weeks and then I get a walking boot. I'm great! So, are you hiding the real video?" He figured Creed was in on this.

Creed laughed. "I wish." He slowly shifted into a vampire. "This is real, Sir." He watched Bear. All four men were staring at him. "I am a vampire. I have been for five years." He sat beside Bear's bed. He told them the story while he looked like a vampire. "This is my natural appearance. The human mask is just that, a mask. A facade. This is what I look like."