5

"GSW

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Maria called out as they ran through the hospital.

"Maybe two!" Sam added.

"Let me take her." Another SHIELD agent said as he grabbed Nat.

"She'll want to see him first." Maria stated before pulling a curtain back to reveal Nick Fury lying on a hospital bed.

"About damn time." Nick groaned as Nat sat down and a doctor started to bandage her up, "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." Nick began to explain his injuries.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." The doctor added.

"Let's not forget that." Nick nodded, "otherwise, I'm good."

"They cut you open. Your heart stopped." Nat said in confusion.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." Nick explained.

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve questioned, his arms folded across his chest, "why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt on the Directors life had to look successful." Maria answered.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead." Nick shrugged, "besides, I wasn't sure who to trust."

———

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize." Nick said as he held up a picture of Pierce, "he said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch." Nat said shaking her head.

"I don't think the councils accepting my calls anymore." Nick said as Maria opened her laptop.

"What's that?" Jessica questioned.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with insight satellites, becoming fully weaponised." Maria began to explain.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Nick continued.

"One or two won't cut it." Maria added, "we need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left..."

"We're not salvaging anything!" Steve cut Nick off quickly, "we're not just taking downs the carriers, Nick. We're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with this." Nick exclaimed.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends." Steve argued, "SHIELDS been compromised. You said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Sam and Jessica shared a look.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Nick argued back.

"How many paid the price before you did?" Steve asked, Nick looked at Maria before turning back towards Steve.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Nick stated.

"Even if you had, would you have told me?" Steve questioned, "or would you have compartmentalised that, too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right." Maria nodded, Nick looked at Nat who leaned back in her seat to avoid the awkwardness, Nick then looked towards Sam.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam shrugged before Nicks gaze turned to Jessica.

"I'm new to this whole superhero thing so...what Sam said." Jessica shrugged, Nick sighed.

"Well...it looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." Nick shrugged as he leaned back in his seat.