22

"Steve? Are you okay?" Jessica asked as she walked up to Steve in the stairwell

"Yeah. It's just...Peggy. She's gone, in her sleep." Steve answered with tears welling in his eyes.

"Steve...I am so sorry." Jessica said hugging Steve comfortingly.

———

At Peggy's funeral, Jessica sat beside Steve holding his hand reassuringly as Sharon walked up on the stage.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." Sharon said looking at Steve every once and a while, "I asked her once how she managed ti master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree look then in the eye and say "no, you move."."

———

After the funeral, Jessica stood up turning towards Steve.

"I'm gonna head off. I'm going with Sam. We're gonna lay low for a little bit." Jessica stated before walking off with Sam by her side, running into Nat on their way out.

"How's he doing?" Nat asked.

"He's alright. Sad, obviously, but I think he needs someone there with him." Jessica smiled before walking away.

———

"Jessica!" Sam called out from his room.

Jessica quickly stood up and ran towards his wondering what he wanted, "What's up?" Jessica said before her attention turned to the TV, "I'll go get Steve." Jessica said before running downstairs.

Jessica immediately spotted Steve and walked towards him, "Steve. There's something you gotta see." Jessica said before leading Steve back upstairs.

They made it back upstairs just in time to hear the news reporter on the TV say, "A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, The Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

Sam turned the TV off as Jessica looked over at Steve who had a disappointed look on his face.

———

"She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asked after Steve hung up his phone call with Nat.

"Might have a point." Jessica shrugged.

"He'd do it for me." Steve mentioned.

"1945, maybe. But he isn't the Bucky you know any more. He's the Winter Soldier." Jessica chuckled slightly earning a look from Steve, "I just want ti make sure we consider all our options." Jessica shrugged innocently, "the people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me and Sam."

"Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public." Sharon said from beside Steve making Jessica roll her eyes, "everybody thinks the Winter Soldier goes to their gym. Most of its noise. Except for this." Sharon said passing Steve a file, "my boss expects a briefing, pretty much now so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you." Steve thanked quickly.

"You're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight." Sharon warned before leaving the small cafe that they sat in.