15

"The news is loving you guys

"The news is loving you guys." Maria said over the radio as they headed back to Avengers Campus, "nobody else is. There's been no offical call for Banners arrest but it's in the air."

"The Stark relief foundation?" Tony questioned.

"Already on the scene. How's the team?" Maria asked.

"Everyone's..." Tony stopped as he looked around at all the sad faces, "we took a hit. We'll shake it off." Tony shrugged.

"Well, for now, I'd stay in stealth mode and stay away from here." Maria stated.

"So, run and hide?" Tony asked.

"Until we can find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer." Maria sighed.

"Neither do we." Tony agreed before shutting off the radio and walking over to Clint who was driving the ship, "hey, you wanna switch out?"

"No, I'm good." Clint shrugged, "if you wanna get some kip, now's a good time because we're still a few hours out." Clint sighed.

"Few hours from where?" Tony questioned.

"A safe house."

———

"What is this place?" Thor asked as they walked towards a house.

"Safe house." Clint said opening the front door and leading everyone inside, "let's hope. Honey?" Clint called out, "I'm home." Jessica looked around cautiously before a woman walked out of the kitchen, "company. Sorry, didn't call ahead."

"Hey." The woman greeted Clint with a kiss.

"This is an agent of some kind." Tony said.

"Gentlemen." Clint started before Jessica cleared her throat making Clint roll his eyes, "Ladies. This is Laura."

"I know all of your names." Laura chuckled awkwardly before footsteps started to approach.

"Ooh. Incoming." Clint smiled as two kids walked up and hugged Clint tightly.

"These are smaller agents." Tony mumbled.

"Shut up, Tony." Jessica said rudely.

"Did you being Auntie Nat?" The girl asked shyly.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" Nat said before picking up the girl.

"Sorry for barging in on you." Steve apologised.

"Yeah, we would've called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed." Jessica stated.

"Yeah, well, Fury helped me set this up when I joined." Clint shrugged, "he kept it off Shields files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Steve nodded going to step forward but stopped when he heard a crunch and noticed her stepped on a Lego house.

Jessica laughed as she watched Thor kick the broken Lego set under the couch.

———

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time." Fury stated as everyone sat down for dinner, Jessica was still very confused on why Nick was there in the first place, "my contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked.

"Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a catholic rabbit." Nick replied.

"Great. So we find him, and kill him." Jessica said with a shrug.

"It still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though." Nick continued as he glared at Jessica.

"Is he still going after the launch codes?" Tony asked.

"Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway." Nick stated.

"I cracked the Pentagons firewall in high school on a dare." Tony admitted.

"Well, I contacted our friends at the nexus about that." Nick said making Steve look up.

"Nexus?" Steve asked curiously.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo." Bruce answered, "every byte of data flows through there. Fastest access on Earth."

"So, what'd they say?" Jessica asked Nick.

"He's fixated on the missiles. But the codes are constantly being changed." Nick answered.

"By whom?" Tony questioned.

"Parties unknown." Nick shrugged.

"Do we have an ally?" Nat chimed in.

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing." Nick retorted, "Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Oslo." Tony mumbled, "find our unknown."

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Nat sighed.

"I do. I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else." Nick shrugged.

"Back in the day? God, how old are you?" Jessica scoffed earning a glare from Nick.

"You kids had all the tech you could dream up." Nick continued, "here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Jessica smirked.

"You know what, Murphy?" Steve asked but before he could finish Nick cut him off.

"So, what does he want?" Nick questioned making Steve turn towards him.

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies." Steve answered.

"Person bodies." Tony added, "the human form in inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Nat spoke as she looked between Bruce and Tony.

"They don't need to be protected." Bruce mumbled, "they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve."

"How?" Nick asked.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Bruce questioned.