32

Steve Rogers stood on the train platform, opposite the platform that Wanda and Vision sat on as Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive stood in front of the couple

A train went past, making Proxima's attention turn away for Wanda and Vision. Once the train went past, the silhouette of Steve Rogers could be seen.

Proxima instantly threw a spear towards him which he easily dodged before he stepped into the light and Sam swooped in, kicking Proxima down harshly and launching drones towards Corvus as Nat ran in, grabbing a spear and fighting Corvus.

Nat soon got knocked down, so Jessica jumped through the glass roof, landing harshly on top of Corvus before stabbing him with a spear.

Proxima and Corvus looked up at the group as Sam held a gun towards them.

"We don't wanna kill you." Nat assured.

"But we will." Jessica smiled innocently.

"You'll never get the chance again." Proxima shook her head before her and Corvus got beamed up.

Jessica shook her head before making her way towards Wanda and Vision.

"Can you stand?" Sam asked Vision before helping him stand up.

"Thank you, Captain." Vision nodded thankfully.

"Let's get you on the jet." Steve smiled.

———

"I thought we had a deal." Nat started as the jet took off, "stay close, check in, don't take any chances."

"I'm sorry." Wanda apologised, "we just wanted time."

"Where to, Cap?" Sam questioned.

"Home." Steve answered simply.

———

"Mr. Secretary." Steve greeted a hologram of Ross as they walked into Avengers Campus.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that." Ross groaned.

"You could use some of that right now." Nat shrugged.

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?" Ross questioned.

"I'm not looking for forgiveness." Steve shook his head, "and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way...we'll fight you too."

Ross turned towards Rodney, who stood behind him the whole time, "arrest them."

"All over it." Rodney nodded before turning off the hologram, "that's a court martial. It's great to see you, Cap." Rodney shook Steve's hand before hugging Nat and Jessica.

"You guys, really look like crap." Rodney nodded, "must've been a rough couple years."

"Yeah, you could say that." Jessica nodded.

"I think you look great." A voice spoke, Bruce. "Yeah, I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce." Jessica greeted.

"Jess." Bruce said awkwardly.

"This is awkward." Sam mumbled.

———

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rodney asked as they began to talk about Proxima and Corvus.

"And they can clearly find us." Wanda added.

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" Bruce questioned.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families. They're in house arrest." Nat explained.

"Who's Scott?" Bruce asked.

"Ant-man." Jessica answered.

"There's an Ant-man and a Spider-man?" Bruce inquired before shaking his head, "okay, look. Thanos has the biggest army in the universe...and he is not gonna stop until he gets Visions Stone."

"Then we have to protect it." Nat stepped forwards.

"No, we have to destroy it." Vision spoke up, "I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head. About its nature. But also its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source..." vision looked towards Wanda, "something very similar to its own signature, perhaps...its molecular integrity could fail."

"Yeah, and you with it." Wanda shook her head, "we're not having this conversation."

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it." Vision spoke softly.

"That's too high a price." Wanda sighed.

Vision cupped her cheeks, "only you have the power to pay it." Wanda turned away from Vision, "Thanos threatens half the universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should." Steve spoke, "we don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people?" Vision rhetorically asked, "tell me, why is this any different?"

"Because you might have a choice." Jessica chimed in, "your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, Bruce, the stone. All of them mixed together, all of them learning from one another."

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?" Wanda asked.

"I'm saying that if we take out the stone...there still a whole lot of vision left. Perhaps the best parts." Jessica explained.

"Can we do that?" Nat inquired.

"Not here." Jessica shook her head.

"Well, you better find someone and somewhere fast." Rhodey said, "Ross isn't just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back."

"I know somewhere." Steve smirked.