Chapter 4 - Change of Policy

Four three-plane formations were rapidly approaching from the battleship Mutsu's port side. These were B1M torpedo bombers launched from the aircraft carrier Hōshō, each equipped with a training torpedo. On the other hand, Captain Yurikazu Edahara of the targeted Mutsu tried his hardest to present the smallest possible target area to the approaching torpedo bombers. However, the skilled crew of the B1Ms had completely anticipated the Mutsu's movements. The twelve B1Ms transitioned to the ideal firing position with minimal maneuvers and dropped their torpedoes. After releasing the heavy torpedoes and becoming more agile, the planes mockingly slipped past the sluggish Mutsu, narrowly avoiding the bow and stern. Despite Edahara's desperate maneuvers, the Mutsu received five confirmed hits on the port side and was declared 'sunk.'

Watching this scene, Admiral Prince Fushimi sighed in his heart. He had anticipated it, but battleships were indeed not a match for aircraft. And he thought this: Today, he, who worships battleships and big guns, has died. The main force of the navy is battleships, and the era when artillery was king has undoubtedly come to an end at this moment. However, contrary to Prince Fushimi's thoughts, many gunnery proponents who dominated the mainstream of the Navy cannot accept the results of this exercise.

"The Mutsu only performed evasive maneuvers. If, hypothetically, the Mutsu had returned fire, it would have easily annihilated around ten attackers before they could drop torpedoes."

To such words from a prominent gunnery proponent, Prince Fushimi presented a harsh reality.

"How do you propose to shoot down the attackers? As far as I know, the Mutsu was equipped with only four anti-aircraft guns. If so, it could only aim at two guns on one side. How do you plan to shoot down more than ten planes before they release their torpedoes? Or do you intend to argue that the fire control system of our Imperial Navy is so superior that it can easily shoot down fast-moving enemy aircraft in three dimensions? And the firepower of the Akagi and Kaga is incomparable to the Hōshō. If, hypothetically, nearly a hundred torpedo bombers launched torpedoes from these two ships, how do the battleships intend to deal with it? Do you have any specific countermeasures?"

You cannot twist facts and reality with preconceptions or beliefs. To the silenced heavyweight, Prince Fushimi pressed on.

"First of all, if there were such excellent technology for controlling gunfire, it would undoubtedly be perfect against battleships, which are nothing more than two-dimensional battles on the sea surface."

"However, the fight against enemy aircraft takes place at distances of 1.000 or 2.000 meters. But in battleship-to-battleship combat, the distance is much greater, ranging from 10.000 to 20.000 meters. It's not the same conversation."

The gunner finally refuted the argument, but Prince Fushimi did not let up.

"Indeed, the distance in battleship-to-battleship gunfire is at least ten times greater. However, in terms of the target's size, an aircraft is one-twentieth that of a battleship. Moreover, its speed is five times greater. Above all, unlike a battleship crawling on the sea surface, an aircraft can maneuver in three dimensions. In terms of difficulty, it is undoubtedly more challenging to hit an aircraft."

Addressing the silenced gunner again, Prince Fushimi's tone turned softer.

"Don't worry; the gunners' job won't disappear. But indulging in studying the shooting techniques against idyllic surface vessels so far will no longer be tolerated. From now on, we must develop and refine shooting methods against fast and small enemies moving in three dimensions in the air, not two dimensions on the sea surface. Some may fall behind due to insufficient abilities, but improving anti-aircraft shooting is an urgent task. Moreover, although we don't know when, the United States and England will surely realize the power of aircraft. Until then, we must strengthen our naval aviation capabilities and be fully prepared for aerial threats. The navy that neglects this will have no future."

With this exercise result, Prince Fushimi completely shifted from battleship-centric doctrine to aviation-centric doctrine. As the highest authority in the Navy, his decision was bound to be followed by many.