Chapter 39 - Information Warfare

Upon entering the Indian Ocean, the First and Second Fleets simultaneously dispatched reconnaissance planes in two waves, each consisting of 16 aircraft, from the Yamato and Musashi, respectively.

For the Imperial Japanese Navy, which had early on shifted to an air-centric doctrine, reconnaissance, or the preemptive detection of enemies, was considered a crucial element, often referred to as the golden rule. The main strength of the Imperial Navy lay in its mobile fleet, possessing formidable air power, but on the other hand, its surface strike vessels were extremely lacking. If reconnaissance were neglected, the delayed discovery of enemy surface strike vessels could lead to a breach in the defenses, resulting in a dire situation. In fact, in the European theater, the British aircraft carrier HMS Glorious, which allowed the approach of the German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, was mercilessly sunk by the naval guns equipped on those two ships. Carriers or mobile fleets were strong in offense but vulnerable when on the defensive. Therefore, placing utmost importance on information, reconnaissance could not be overlooked.

The extensive and dense reconnaissance network, deploying 32 planes, was fully operational. The whereabouts of the British fleet, as well as a rough understanding of its fleet composition, had already been ascertained. Meanwhile, the British Royal Navy, understanding the importance of information just as much or even more than the Imperial Navy, had also slightly lagged behind in discovering the First and Second Fleets.

"The vanguard fleet consists of two aircraft carriers and two cruisers each, accompanied by six destroyers. As for the main force in the rear, there is one aircraft carrier, five battleships, four cruisers, and eight destroyers. It aligns with the analysis of our information and communication department. There was a time when the communication department was a dumping ground for officers who deviated from the usual career path, but with the shift to air-centric doctrine, the importance of information and communication began to be recognized. Conversely, nowadays, it's difficult for anyone who can't analyze information to become a staff officer. Everyone who's quick-witted is eager to join the information and communication department. Times have indeed changed."

While murmuring this in his mind, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the commander-in-chief of the 1st Mobile Fleet, also realized more than anyone the benefits he was reaping from it. With precise knowledge of the enemy's position and strength in advance, appropriate deployment and distribution of forces could be made. Therefore, the reconnaissance pairs assigned to the carrier air units were all skilled crew members. Flying alone over the open sea, with no specific target, while remaining vigilant for enemy fighters whose attack could come at any moment, was not a task for ordinary crew members. Navigation and communication skills, concentration, endurance, as well as calmness and courage, and an unwavering determination to bring back information, were all demanded. That's why those involved in reconnaissance were highly regarded by other crew members, and although it might sound a bit crude, flight allowances for reconnaissance were set at a considerable amount.

With the expansion of the information and communication department and the influx of numerous talented individuals, the operational capabilities of the Imperial Navy in terms of information and communication had significantly improved in a short period. As the foundation widened, the pinnacle inevitably rose higher. In the midst of this, one member responsible for encryption in the information and communication department raised concerns that the Navy's D code might be compromised or in the process of being deciphered. This man, whose hammock number in the Naval Academy and work attitude were impeccable, was not someone to irresponsibly voice unfounded opinions without facts or evidence.

The revelation sent shockwaves through the upper echelons of the Imperial Navy. No matter how meticulous the planning of operations, leaking information rendered it meaningless. Conversely, suffering severe consequences from counterintelligence by the opponent was a visible threat. Although there was no concrete evidence confirming the compromise of the D code, the impressions gathered by investigators leaned heavily toward the darker shades of gray. Furthermore, investigations into merchant ship codes and diplomatic codes revealed that they were completely deciphered, mainly due to their low encryption strength.

In response, the relevant departments hastily worked on improving these codes. Currently, the strength of these codes has increased, and there have been no signs of them being deciphered by foreign powers. A series of incidents involving the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and military officers and civilians, however, not only affected the Imperial Navy but also instilled a renewed awareness of the importance of information among the entire population, essentially leading to a kind of consciousness reform. This should have brought significant benefits to Japan's military strength, equivalent to or even exceeding the reinforcement of front-line equipment, and Yamamoto keenly felt that.

And now, the Eastern Fleet boldly revealed itself in front of them. The British had taken the bait of information carefully set by the Imperial Navy in advance.

"The forces deployed in the Indian Ocean include one mobile fleet and one surface strike fleet."

But the reality was different. The forces deployed in the Indian Ocean were two mobile fleets. The carrier-based aircraft alone reached a total of 540, including regular aircraft. If the Eastern Fleet had known this in advance, they probably would have avoided the battle. However, unaware of this until the last moment, the Eastern Fleet had been lured in and had already passed the point of no return. In other words, the Imperial Navy had outsmarted the cunning and sinister British, arguably the most devious and dark nation in the world. What else could be said but that this was nothing short of exhilarating?

While pondering such thoughts, Yamamoto issued the launch order to the attack squadrons of the First and Second Fleets. From the Yamato-class carriers, there were 24 Zeros and 30 Type 1s each, from the Amagi-class carriers, 12 Zeros and 24 Type 1s, and from the Kongō-class carriers, there were 12 Zeros and 18 Type 1s. A total of 120 Zeros and 192 Type 1s successively took off from the flight decks, ascending to higher altitudes. The attack squadron, exceeding 300 aircraft, formed up and simultaneously began its westward advance.