Chapter 65 - Actual Situation

The Essex-class aircraft carriers were initially planned to operate 90 planes, consisting of 36 fighters, 18 dive bombers, and 36 torpedo bombers. On the other hand, the Independence-class carriers were intended to operate 33 planes, with 24 fighters and 9 torpedo bombers. However, the significance of fighters became apparent during the battles with the Japanese Navy. In response, the Essex-class carriers doubled the number of fighters, reducing the number of dive bombers and torpedo bombers. The current standard composition includes 108 planes, with 72 fighters, 24 dive bombers, and 12 torpedo bombers. While the increased aircraft complement made flight deck operations more cramped, there was no choice but to endure.

Admiral Mitscher, the commander of the Fifth Fleet, approved of this measure. Although the reduction in dive bombers and torpedo bombers led to a decrease in anti-ship capabilities, the F6F Hellcat, the latest fighter, could carry 1.000-pound bombs on each wing and serve as a fighter-bomber. Future improvements might even enable the use of torpedoes.

However, the skill of the pilots operating these state-of-the-art fighters raised concerns. Doubling the number of Essex-class carriers' fighters meant a significant increase to a total of 288 operational aircraft, including pilots. Even for the world's premier US Navy, preparing over 300 personnel, including reserves, was no easy task. Up until now, skilled pilots with excellent landing and takeoff abilities were often assigned to the Independence-class carriers, which had smaller flight decks and higher landing difficulty. This further reduced the average proficiency of the class carriers.

"In essence, the current state of the Fifth Fleet's fighter squadrons can be described as a peculiar imbalance: smaller carriers have high combat power, while larger regular carriers have lower proficiency."

How did this situation come about? Mitscher, who was the captain of the Hornet at the start of the war, understood this better than anyone. In the Battle of Wake Island at the beginning of the war, six out of seven regular carriers were sunk, resulting in the loss of most of the carefully trained carrier personnel. Those from the Hornet who survived were disembarked and assigned to the mission of training the next generation, acting as instructors and educators.

However, even they, viewed from the perspective of other carrier personnel, were considered inexperienced and required further training. In a sense, it was like beginners instructing those with no experience. Many former Hornet personnel serving as instructors were also deployed to the defense of Oahu, with a significant number losing their lives in battle. The Hornet herself, along with the trained personnel, eventually sank to the bottom of the sea during the Battle of the North Atlantic.

In such circumstances, the training of carrier-based aircraft pilots became the top priority within the US Navy, and many personnel were transferred from the Marine Corps. Unlike the Navy, which suffered a major blow in the early battles, the Marine Corps had many skilled and experienced personnel surviving. However, even for these individuals, takeoffs and landings on carriers were challenging, leading to numerous accidents. Among the Essex-class carriers participating in this operation, there was not a single ship where personnel perished during training. Conversely, some carriers had casualties in the double digits.

Nevertheless, due to rigorous training, all carriers currently meet the designated number of fighter pilots. Additionally, though with somewhat questionable skills, reserve pilots were also made available. On the other hand, the reduced number of dive bombers and torpedo bombers allowed for the selection of highly skilled individuals. However, this irony was not lost on anyone. Recognizing the importance of information, Mitscher assigned 48 SB2C Helldivers, piloted by skilled reconnaissance crews, who, despite significant sacrifices, successfully discovered the Japanese fleet.

"The Japanese fleet is as expected, four groups. However, they have twenty carriers. We might hope for a counting error, but it would be disrespectful to the crews who risked their lives to gather information."

Receiving the report from the aviation staff, Mitscher muttered to himself, unheard by anyone. As a commander, baseless suspicions towards subordinates must be strictly avoided.

"All right, launch the attack group! It's not necessary to sink the enemy carriers. Aim for disrupting their operations with widespread and shallow attacks!"

Even if they couldn't sink the Japanese carriers, thwarting their operations would still be a victory. Although not participating in this operation, three Essex-class carriers were already engaged in familiarization training, and more of the same class were scheduled to be completed almost every month thereafter. In terms of sheer carrier numbers, the US Navy had already caught up with the Japanese Navy. Furthermore, from the next year onward, the gap in their respective capabilities would only widen. The era of patience was about to end.

Under Mitscher's command, 36 F6F Hellcats, 18 SB2C Helldivers, and 12 TBF Avengers took off from each of the Essex-class carriers. From each of the Independence-class carriers, 12 F6F Hellcats and 9 TBF Avengers followed suit, kicking off from the flight deck into the sky. Even after deploying an attack squadron of 717 aircraft, the Fifth Fleet still had 396 F6Fs remaining as direct cover.

As the carrier-based aircraft squadrons formed a large formation and began their advance toward the western sky, Mitscher couldn't shake off his unease. Over ninety percent of them had no combat experience. Then, he suddenly realized.

He, too, had no combat experience.