BATTLE OF WAKE ISLAND | Chapter 15

Inevitable Conflict

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is there no choice but to engage in a war with the United States?"

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto let out a sigh, unsure of how many times he had done so on this day. Since the outbreak of the Manchurian Incident, the deteriorating relationship between Japan and the United States had already surpassed the point of no return. To reach this point, Yamamoto had not been idle. Alongside Admiral Mitsumasa Yonai and Vice Admiral Shigeyoshi Inoue, he had opposed the Japan-Germany-Italy Tripartite Pact and had strained his brain for various ideas to repair relations with the United States.

However, there were political and business factions, as well as pro-war factions in the government and military, who were eager to challenge the arrogant United States and Britain. Moreover, the media, including newspapers, fueled anti-American sentiment, and the loud voices of the citizens demanding to "punish the arrogant enemies, the United States and Britain," were impossible to resist with individual efforts.

In the Imperial Navy, the peace faction was more of a minority, and a similar situation existed in the Imperial Army, which had a strong inclination towards Germany. Even so, leaders such as Navy Minister Teikichi Hori, Chief of the Navy General Staff Shiozawa, and Admiral Yoshida, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, had worked hard to restrain the unruly young officers from crossing the line. However, all their efforts were in vain. The one who nullified the efforts of these leaders was none other than Marshal Admiral Prince Fushimi. While not belligerent, Prince Fushimi had an extremely pessimistic view of Japan-US negotiations.

"No matter how much Japan makes diplomatic efforts to avoid war, the United States will never accept our proposals."

He openly declared that if Japan were to challenge the United States to war, the sooner, the better. From Yamamoto's perspective, while Prince Fushimi had contributed to the transition from a battleship-centered doctrine to an air-centric one in terms of military strategy, there seemed to be a lack of caution in his political actions. Despite appeals from leaders like Hori, Shiozawa, and Yoshida, Prince Fushimi, as the supreme authority within the Imperial Navy, stubbornly refused to change his views. As a result, those who supported war gained momentum, interpreting Prince Fushimi's stance as a tacit approval for war with the United States. As mentioned earlier, the pro-war or anti-American hardline faction was the majority within the Imperial Navy. Once the momentum towards war had been established, no one could stop it.

On the other hand, Yamamoto understood Prince Fushimi's feelings. The Imperial Navy had discovered, through investigations related to the US Two-Ocean Navy Act, that by the year 1940, the United States had already ordered a dozen aircraft carriers. This information was not obtained through secret means but was publicly available. Of the twelve ordered carriers, only one was an improved version of the Yorktown-class, while the remaining eleven were entirely new designs.

Of these twelve carriers, the improved version of the Yorktown-class, which had already started construction by 1939, was expected to be operational by 1942. As for the new carriers, they were projected to become operational as early as the beginning of 1943. Adding these carriers to the six carriers currently owned by the United States, the total number of carrier-based aircraft would be at least 1.600 and could approach 1.700. For officers of the Imperial Navy, it was easy to imagine the consequences if these carrier-based aircraft attacked the Combined Fleet en masse.

Prince Fushimi, who had come to understand the power of air power before anyone else, would have been even more acutely aware of this. Yamamoto painfully understood Prince Fushimi's impatience and feelings.

On the other hand, when they turned their attention to the Imperial Navy, there was also a significant increase in aircraft carriers. First, the Kongō-class, which has been converted into aircraft carriers, has completed all training, and all of them have already joined the Combined Fleet as a new force. Adding these to the existing eight Amagi-class carriers, the total number of carriers becomes twelve. With just the carrier-based aircraft from these twelve carriers, the number approaches nearly 700, making the Imperial Navy clearly superior to the US Navy, which only possesses six regular carriers.

Furthermore, in a short while, the four armored carriers started under the Circle 3 Plan will complete their training, similar to the Kongō-class, and will also be incorporated under the command of the Combined Fleet. If this happens, until the completion of the new American aircraft carriers, in other words, until the end of 1942, the carrier strength of the Imperial Navy will undoubtedly surpass that of the US Navy.

"If we're going to do it, it has to be now. I suppose that's what His Imperial Highness is trying to say."

Yamamoto recalled a meeting with Prince Fushimi a little while ago.

"The war between Japan and the United States is now inevitable. Because of that, I have a favor to ask of Your Highness. I would like to be appointed as the Commander-in-Chief of the newly formed 1st Mobile Fleet, moving me from the position of Military Councilor."

Originally, the position of fleet commander was supposed to be held by a vice admiral, not a full admiral. Naturally, Prince Fushimi pointed out this fact.

"Your Highness's observation is correct. However, the course of the war between Japan and the United States will be determined in the initial fleet battle. Well, even if the United States suffers a defeat once, they can recover from it. Japan cannot afford to lose in a battle that is not allowed to lose from the beginning. That's why I want to take command on the front lines. Besides, I have a strong desire to annihilate the battleships of the Pacific Fleet with the carrier task force. No, perhaps that's my true feeling."

Facing Yamamoto's rapid and self-centered requests, Prince Fushimi could only respond with a chuckle. Even when appointing Yamamoto as the de facto head of an unassigned position like Military Councilor, Prince Fushimi faced considerable difficulties. As he recalled correctly, at that time, Yamamoto had asked to be left with a free hand to protect the organization from the demonic hands of the Imperial Army, attempting to swallow the Imperial Navy amidst the chaos of the national crisis. However, the truth was something even Prince Fushimi didn't fully understand. Perhaps he had spent that effort not so much to protect the Navy organization but rather to pursue peace. In any case, while Prince Fushimi did have reservations about Yamamoto taking command, the stronger feeling was to entrust this man and acknowledge his request with some final words.

"The Combined Fleet that is focused on air power. There is no other path for the Imperial Navy to follow."