Chapter 54 - Shiden Kai

"Our intelligence division, along with information obtained from Germany, indicates that the P-38 has a speed ranging from 630 to 640 kilometers per hour, and both the P-47 and F4U boast even higher speed performance. In other words, even with conservative estimates, each of these aircraft is more than 60 kilometers per hour faster than the Zero fighter. With such a significant speed difference, a match would be futile even if the skill levels of the pilots were the same. Moreover, on the American side, leveraging the superiority in speed would allow even young pilots to easily evade Zero fighters flown by experienced pilots. On the contrary, the Zero fighter would find itself at a severe disadvantage unless the opponent engages in close combat."

Questioned about whether they could win with the Zero fighter, Shiozawa admitted that it would be impossible. As Yamamoto listened to the reasons, he pondered on what to do next. The most crucial aspect of aerial combat between fighter planes is whether appropriate information support is provided. If information such as the enemy's position, altitude, and numbers is known beforehand, it becomes easier to devise countermeasures and, most importantly, avoid ambushes. Even informing wingmen about a crisis via radio communication can be considered a form of information support. In aerial battles where surprise attacks are all too common, accurate information from allies is, in a sense, as vital as a lifeline.

The Imperial Navy, which transitioned to an air-centric doctrine at an early stage, had realized this even before the war began. Consequently, aircraft with radio interference issues were strictly prohibited from flying. However, the performance of the aircraft and the skill of the pilots are equally important factors, not inferior to information. According to Shiozawa, even the once invincible Zero fighter, touted as such, is gradually shifting from being the hunter to the hunted in just over a year since the start of the war. While Yamamoto was lost in thought, Shiozawa offered a wry smile, assuring him not to worry.

"The second attack on Oahu will be carried out not with Zero fighters but with the new type of fighter. If we start the conversion training for the pilots now, it will be more than enough time before the operation begins."

However, Yamamoto expressed skepticism in response to Shiozawa's words. Although the development of the Experimental Type 15 carrier fighter, the successor to the Zero fighter, had been completed, the production of the vital Mokusei engine had just begun in the UK. Even if an adequate number of them were gathered, considering the period for familiarizing pilots with the new equipment, it would be at least six months before they could be deployed to a carrier-based air fleet. Therefore, there was undoubtedly no way they could meet the deadline for the second attack on Oahu.

"As for the Jupiter engine, it is indeed going to be produced in Britain in the future. It's more reliable and performs better than the domestically produced ones. However, the Experimental Type 15 carrier fighter won't be the one deployed for the attack on Oahu. It will be the Shiden Model 2, commonly known as the Shiden Kai."

Developed around the same time as the Zero fighter, the Shiden was equipped with the large-displacement Kasei engine. While its turning performance didn't match that of the Zero, it excelled in speed, acceleration, and climb performance, surpassing the Zero in these aspects. Furthermore, the heavily armed version of the Shiden was valued as an effective heavy fighter against the well-defended B-17, and it is useful in base air force units.

"A recently deployed new land-based fighter, you say? But since it's a land-based fighter, it would be impossible to operate it on a carrier."

In response to Yamamoto's questioning words, Shiozawa continued to explain with a chuckle.

"While the Shiden Kai is indeed based on the Shiden, it is an entirely different aircraft in reality. The engine has been replaced with a domestically produced Mokusei instead of the Kasei. Although its horsepower is inferior compared to the British-made Mokusei, which assumes the use of high-octane gasoline, it still exhibits a commendable 1.900 horsepower. Additionally, its diameter is smaller than that of the Kasei, resulting in improved aerodynamic characteristics compared to the Shiden. Furthermore, refining the aircraft design has significantly stabilized its behavior during landing. Someone at the Aviation Bureau noticed these qualities and apparently suggested that the Shiden Kai could be operated as a carrier-based aircraft. After reinforcing necessary parts of the aircraft, including the tail, and equipping it with a tailhook, experiments were conducted on facilities resembling an aircraft carrier's flight deck. According to reports, both takeoff and landing presented no significant issues. Moreover, while the Shiden Kai is classified as a land-based fighter, the addition of automatic dogfight flaps has elevated its turning performance to a level comparable to air superiority fighters. The Imperial Navy has decided to make the Shiden Kai the mainstay fighter until the Experimental Type 15 carrier fighter is operational."

As Yamamoto listened to the details of the Shiden Kai's adoption, he directly asked the question that was on his mind.

"While the Shiden is faster than the Zero fighter, it shouldn't have reached 600 kilometers per hour. How much faster is the Shiden Kai compared to it?"

"The maximum speed is 620 kilometers per hour. I admit that this figure may not surpass the P-38, P-47, and F4U. However, due to the lightweight of the aircraft, it should not lag behind in acceleration and climb performance. As mentioned earlier, the turning performances of the Shiden and the Shiden Kai are entirely different. You can trust this information, as it was highly praised by our professional test pilots. Also, as an extra piece of information, the Shiden Kai can carry one 250-kilogram bomb under each wing, meaning it has twice the bomb-carrying capacity of the Zero fighter."

While the maximum speed of the Shiden Kai may not surpass that of the P-38, F4U, and P-47, if it is still 50 kilometers per hour faster than the Zero fighter, Yamamoto saw no reason to oppose the introduction of the Shiden Kai.

"I understand. The major concerns regarding the second attack on Oahu have been resolved. Let's thoroughly strike the Americans again and, if possible, further heighten the anti-war sentiment among the American people."