SECOND ATTACK ON OAHU | Chapter 51

Irony

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 1943

A certain Navy restaurant

In a certain high-level meeting at an espionage-proof naval establishment, Navy Minister Hori, Navy Chief of Staff Shiozawa, and Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet Yoshida, all Naval College graduates of the same class as Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who had taken command in the series of battles in Europe, gathered ostensibly to congratulate him.

"Your efforts during the European expedition spanning nearly half a year were truly commendable. I thought you were deployed in the summer, and here we are, already in the new year, having skipped over autumn. Generally, as one ages, time seems to pass more quickly, and that is exactly the case.

Nevertheless, in Europe, you've done exceptionally well. Despite the peace treaty with Britain, they essentially surrendered to Germany. As a result, the noble cause of the United States liberating Europe has been greatly compromised. In fact, there's a growing anti-war sentiment in the United States. And this, for us, is the greatest achievement," Hori said, smiling at Yamamoto.

While doing so, Hori discussed the current situation in the United States. Additionally, he mentioned how various countries forming the British Commonwealth, including Canada and India, followed suit as the United Kingdom withdrew from the war. He also added that there was a rising tide of independence movements in various parts of Asia.

"Despite commanding a large number of vessels for an extended period, you managed to bring them all back with only minor damage. For us, with significantly inferior shipbuilding capabilities compared to the Americans, this is truly invaluable. On behalf of the Combined Fleet, let me express my gratitude."

While Yoshida bowed his head, Yamamoto shook his head slightly.

"It is true that the damage to the naval vessels was far less than we had initially anticipated. But that was because the air force was able to maintain control of the airspace. On the other hand, the 1st Mobile Fleet lost a considerable number of crew members throughout the entire operation. Without their efforts, the damage to the vessels would have been more severe, and the success of the operation would have been uncertain."

The 1st Mobile Fleet had around 1.080 aircraft with nearly 3.000 crew members, including reserves. However, nearly 10% of these crew members were lost in the distant European battlefield. Particularly, the carrier air groups of the First Fleet, including the Yamato, Hiei, Amagi, and Katsuragi, which attacked the American fleet in the Battle of the North Atlantic, suffered significant losses with a casualty rate approaching 25%. All of the crew members who died in the battle were highly skilled crewmen, and the damage inflicted on the Imperial Navy was not insignificant.

"The Navy General Staff is taking the losses of the carrier air groups seriously. Whether it's a glide bombing or a torpedo attack, both tactics require approaching the enemy ships closely. However, against American ships equipped with a large number of anti-aircraft guns and machine guns, considerable damage must be expected. In fact, in the Battle of the North Atlantic, even the carrier air group of the First Fleet, which possesses the highest skill in the Imperial Navy, suffered significant losses. Therefore, following Germany's example, the Imperial Navy is further promoting the development of guided weapons that can target enemy ships from a long distance. Fortunately, we have already received technology and actual equipment for Hs 293 and Fritz X from Germany. However, adjustments are necessary since Hs 293 has an impractical shape, and Fritz X is excessively heavy for installation on the Type 1 carrier attack plane. Currently, we are comparing the strengths and weaknesses of both, but it is likely that a version based on Hs 293 will be prioritized in development."

Yamamoto nodded in agreement with Shiozawa's words. During the Battle of the North Atlantic, he witnessed the dire condition of the Type 1s returning from the attack on the American fleet. Wings and fuselages were riddled with brutal bullet holes, and in some cases, a significant portion of the wings was missing. The damaged aircraft returned under conditions that made it hard to believe they had made it back safely.

While Yamamoto did not know the specifics of Hs 293 and Fritz X, he believed that if they were weapons capable of attacking enemy ships from a distance greater than bombs or torpedoes, they should be adopted, even if they had slightly lower power or lower reliability directly related to hit rates. Above all, the safety of the crew members should be the top priority, a point that needs no further emphasis.

"So, what do we do from now on? With the British stepping out of the war, the Americans lost the moral pretext of liberating Europe. Despite that, they continue the war. I've heard that the anti-war sentiment among American citizens has progressed significantly, but still, why won't they quit the war? They wouldn't be showing courtesy to the Soviets who are fighting to the end, would they?"

Yamamoto turned his face toward Hori, who oversees military affairs, and straightforwardly posed the question.

"Firstly, there is a considerable number of communist sympathizers, or more bluntly, Soviet spies infiltrated into American government offices, including the State Department. Secondly, there is a significant presence of influential Jewish figures in the American economic sphere. In other words, there are those in the political and administrative core influenced by the Soviets and in the economic sector, Jews harboring animosity towards Germany. The common people want to end the war; that's a fact. However, on the other hand, among the ruling class, those in favor of continuing the war hold sway. Moreover, Roosevelt himself is quite accommodating and seems to believe that it was his mission to beat down Germany. That's why they won't try to end the war."

Both Yamamoto, Hori, Shiozawa, and Yoshida, had all opposed the Tripartite Pact. They had cautioned that such an action could lead to a confrontation with the United States, a warning that was proven right when war broke out.

However, on the flip side, it was also true that without German technology, there would be no future prospects. Even for something as basic as an aircraft, the excellent electrical components and lubricants brought by Germany had become indispensable. While the peace with the UK ensured the supply of high-octane gasoline obtained by Germany as a reward for sending a fleet to Europe, this, too, depended on Germany's circumstances or Hitler's mood. Relying on Germany for everything was nothing but ironic for the four classmates from the military academy. Nevertheless, they had to accept this reality and move forward.