Chapter 22 - Naval Air Combat

"Approximately twenty formations, arranged in six groups, are heading towards you."

From the crew members of the Type 1 carrier attack planes, tasked with advanced reconnaissance, a slightly tense voice reached the ears of the crew members. Simultaneously, the Zero fighter of the air superiority squadron, consisting of Yamato, Musashi, Amagi, Katsuragi, Ikoma, and Tsukuba units, a total of 72 planes, accelerated and climbed in the instructed direction. Meanwhile, the 72 escort planes from the Shinano, Kai, Kasagi, Aso, Ibuki, and Kurama, stayed close to the Type 1s, displaying a resolute defensive posture without leaving their side.

"Air superiority squadrons, engage the enemy interceptor fighter squadrons individually by squadron. Squadron leaders, be careful not to overlap targets. Since the enemy outnumbers us, there's no need to engage all enemies forcefully. The escort squadrons will take care of any misses."

Following the instructions from Lieutenant Commander Motomachi, the air superiority squadron leader and Yamato fighter squadron commander, the six squadrons of the air superiority squadron each launched an assault against their designated enemy formations.

"Katsuragi squadron, engage the left-center enemies. All units, proceed!"

In response to the commanding order from Lieutenant Misato, the leader of the Katsuragi fighter squadron and the first squadron, 12 Zeros simultaneously charged onto the enemy formation.

Thanks to the advanced reconnaissance planes, they were not at a disadvantage in altitude combat. The clash between Japanese and American forces occurred at almost the same altitude, but the initiative was taken by the Americans. With great confidence in the performance of the Browning M2 .50 caliber machine guns, American fighters unleashed a barrage of bullets as if victory were guaranteed. However, the crew members of the Zero fighters, familiar with the possible actions of American fighters from battles in the Philippines and elsewhere, quickly transitioned to evasive maneuvers, a moment ahead of their opponents. In the next instant of their planes crossing paths, Misato deduced that the enemy was using F4F Wildcat fighters. Although they had never faced Japanese fighters in the southern theater, it was certain that, like the Army's P-40, the Wildcat was equipped with formidable machine guns.

The Zeros and F4Fs maneuvered to get behind each other. This time, the Zero took the initiative. Despite having less refined turning performance compared to the A5M, or not matching the Army's Ki-43 fighter, the Zero's maneuverability seemed sufficient against American P-40s and F4Fs. Misato, utilizing the powerful torque of the Kinsei engine, closed the distance with the enemy in one swift motion.

The Zeros prepared for this naval battle by the 1st Mobile Fleet were the latest Model 22 variants. The engine has been upgraded from the Kinsei 40 of the Model 11 and Model 21 to the Kinsei 50, with horsepower increased by nearly 20%. Additionally, the four guns, a mix of 20 mm and 12,7 mm in the Model 21, have all been replaced by 20 mm autocannons, thanks to the successful development of the 20 mm autocannon's belt-feeding mechanism.

Just before firing the machine guns, Misato surveyed the surroundings. The moment of trying to shoot down enemy planes is said to be the most dangerous, a lesson drilled into trainees during their training days. Confirming the absence of enemy planes, Misato pressed the firing button with extra care. Two thick lines shot out from each wing, extending like a shower and being drawn into the F4F one after another. Even the robust American planes cannot withstand the shower of 20 mm bullets fired from the long-barreled guns with high initial velocity.

"Aoki, take over!"

Misato yielded his position as the lead to Flight Petty Officer First Class Aoki who had been diligently provided support from the rear, and dropped to the second position. Not only to balance the consumption of ammunition but also to give Aoki an opportunity to score a victory, Misato considered these factors. Simultaneously, he surveyed the surroundings to grasp the overall situation as the Katsuragi fighter squadron leader.

The second section's leader, Flight Warrant Officer Uozaki, was chasing the F4Fs with his wingmen, while the third section's leader, Flight Warrant Officer Sumiyoshi, was fighting the enemy alone, as if he had been separated from his formation. In both cases, the Zeros seemed to be pressing.

Quickly assessing the situation, Misato, in the next moment, witnessed Aoki in front of him skillfully shooting down an F4F with a momentary single-shot-like accuracy. While he was confident in his own skills, he acknowledged that Aoki's abilities surpassed his own. It may be inappropriate, but Aoki's marksmanship felt more like art than mere technique.

However, unable to be captivated by Aoki's feat, Misato switched his focus to other targets. The mission assigned to the air superiority squadron was the elimination of enemy fighters, and since the enemy's numbers were expected to be 50% more than theirs, there should be plenty of prey left. Thinking this, Misato, however, didn't spot any F4Fs in the vicinity.

"Did they take them all out in this instant?"

Uozaki and Sumiyoshi's formations gathered around the astonished Misato. Both the second and third sections reported having all their planes intact.

"Uozaki Team, four shot down, one destroyed."

"Sumiyoshi Team, three shot down, two destroyed."

Considering the report from Flight Petty Officer First Class Fukae, the second sub-leader of the first section, which indicated one enemy aircraft shot down and two destroyed, the first section's tally became three shot down and two destroyed. The Katsuragi fighter units, in the first squadron alone, engaged nearly twenty F4Fs, shooting down more than half and destroying a significant number of planes. With this result, the chances of F4Fs breaking through the air superiority squadron's defense line and reaching the attack squadron's main force should be extremely low.

Misato's judgment was completely correct.