ATTACK ON OAHU | Chapter 27

Objective Selection

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 1942

A certain Navy restaurant

The group of four, including Minister of the Navy Hori, Chief of the Navy General Staff Shiozawa, and Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet Yoshida, gathered at a certain high-level naval establishment with thorough counterespionage measures, ostensibly to congratulate Admiral Yamamoto, who led the 1st Mobile Fleet in the year-end Battle of Wake Island.

"In commanding the Battle of Wake Island, you truly went through a lot. Thanks to you annihilating the Pacific Fleet, the success of the Southern Operation seemed almost assured. As the chief in charge of military orders, let me express my gratitude once again," said Shiozawa with a deep bow. In response, Yamamoto nodded slightly with a chuckle.

"The 1st Mobile Fleet's victory at Wake Island was largely due to the efforts of the officers and men. I was just a figurehead standing there doing nothing more than decoration."

It is known from multiple prisoner testimonies that at the time, the Pacific Fleet invading Wake Island consisted of 6 aircraft carriers, 5 battleships, 9 heavy cruisers, 4 light cruisers, and 40 destroyers. The 1st Mobile Fleet at that time managed to eliminate all of them solely through carrier-based aircraft attacks. Of course, there were appropriate instructions from the headquarters behind the victory, but Yamamoto, more than anyone else, understood that his contribution was not as significant. The power disparity between the 1st Mobile Fleet and the Pacific Fleet was so vast that any commander could have achieved victory. While Yamamoto's statement about himself being a decoration was partly humility, the other half was an honest feeling.

"More surprising than anything upon returning to the mainland was the political maneuvers. I knew Hori and Inoue would team up as the military government leaders, but I never thought they would directly provoke Roosevelt."

After the Pacific Fleet was annihilated in the Battle of Wake Island, Japan issued a declaration of victory in the same battle to the world. At the same time, Japan sent what could be called incendiary materials to the US government and media. The documents included a list of the sunken vessels in the Battle of Wake Island and a roster of surviving prisoners.

While the number of prisoners amounted to thousands, it also meant that tens of thousands of soldiers were either killed or missing in action. Additionally, Japan publicly disclosed the Hull Note and simultaneously engaged in psychological warfare to implant the impression that the United States had initiated the conflict. Despite President Roosevelt promising the American people that the United States would not participate in a world war, he was secretly seeking ways to instigate Japanese involvement in the war. Capitalizing on Japan's efforts to create this impression, Roosevelt's political opponents in the Republican Party took advantage to launch a negative campaign against the President. As a result, Roosevelt found himself in a political predicament, and his approval ratings were steadily declining.

"There are quite a few cunning strategists in the Navy Ministry. Moreover, if we cannot achieve a final victory over the United States militarily, there is no other way for us to end the war than by undermining them in areas other than military, such as politics, diplomacy, and more."

Minister Hori's words about Japan not being able to win against the United States militarily are a highly problematic statement in the current era. If an ordinary citizen were to say such a thing, neighborhood watch groups would immediately activate, and there would be a high probability of police intervention. However, for these four individuals, the fact that Japan could not win against the United States militarily was a truth and an utterly commonplace understanding, so it did not become a particularly contentious issue.

"So, what's the plan moving forward? The eastern threat of the Pacific Fleet is already gone, and the southwest resource area conquest is progressing well. If we ignore the north, which is unsuitable for a large fleet invasion, the only option left is the south. Perhaps striking around Brisbane and threatening Australia to withdraw from the war could be a strategy worth considering," ambitiously inquired Yamamoto, prompting a wry smile from Hori.

Beside him, Yoshida, in an unusual display, opened his mouth with a slightly sinister expression.

"After consulting with the Navy Ministry and the Navy General Staff, we've decided to strike Hawaii. Currently, the American government and its citizens are reeling from the destruction of the Pacific Fleet. Setting Hawaii ablaze could potentially induce panic among the frightened residents on the West Coast. Of course, even if panic ensues, it's doubtful that the United States will back down, but it's still worth a try. Additionally, it will undoubtedly further corner President Roosevelt who is already in a difficult situation."

As a supplement, Hori followed up on Yoshida's statement.

"Your suggestion of attacking Brisbane is not a bad idea. Brisbane has a submarine base, and leaving it unchecked would pose a significant threat to the shipping routes connecting our country and the southern resource area. However, striking the Australian mainland will have to wait until we receive a request from Germany. I hear that Australian soldiers have been fierce in the battles over Europe, and the Germans have had a very hard time dealing with them. Naturally, Germany would want Australia out of the war, so it's inevitable that they will request the Imperial Navy to strike. We'll act upon that request. By framing it as an attack on Australia at Germany's request, we might expect some concessions from Germany, and it might also improve the sentiments of Japan among the Australian population."

Yamamoto reacted with a mixture of disbelief to Hori's words.

"Prioritizing gains and losses over military rationality? Well, it's true that we're desperate for industrial products and advanced technology from Germany, but..."