EUROPEAN EXPEDITION | Chapter 43

Australian Campaign

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After defeating the British Eastern Fleet, the Japanese First and Second Fleets sailed to Ceylon and bombarded Colombo and Trincomalee, the key strategic points in the region, causing immense damage to both cities and annihilating the deployed Royal Air Force with their overwhelming firepower. Believing that he had completely eliminated British resistance in the Indian Ocean, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto commanding the 1st Mobile Fleet immediately initiated a campaign of hunting British merchant ships.

Capturing superior vessels and mercilessly sinking outdated ships of low utility, the fleet continued its operations. With the conclusion of the southern campaign, the available ships such as the Shiratsuyu, Hatsuharu, and Fubuki-class destroyers, along with numerous escort vessels like outdated light cruisers and destroyers from the Maritime Escort Force, were deployed in the Indian Ocean. They actively engaged in wartime seizure activities and pirate operations. As the series of operations concluded and the First and Second Fleets returned to the homeland, cherry blossoms had already fallen, and the season was transitioning from spring to summer.

April 1942

A certain Navy restaurant

"It was truly hard work in the Indian Ocean. Thanks to you, the British forces in the Indian Ocean have been swept away. And you know? News of our success has reached Germany and the Army. Hitler himself, upon learning of the destruction of the Eastern Fleet, reportedly displayed extraordinary joy. His joy was so intense that his close aides were worried he might have lost his sanity. Nevertheless, this has made negotiations with Germany and the Army much easier. As the supreme authority overseeing military affairs, I express my gratitude once again."

After leading the First and Second Fleets to annihilate the Eastern Fleet, Yamamoto extended the expedition to the western part of the Indian Ocean for a British merchant ship hunt. By the time Yamamoto returned to the homeland, it was already mid-April. In a gesture of appreciation, Navy Minister Hori expressed gratitude, acknowledging the successful conclusion of the Indian Ocean operation, carried out in response to requests from Germany and the Imperial Army.

"I haven't done anything special. It's the result of the efforts and dedication of the officers and crew of the First and Second Fleets, especially the pilots."

While it may seem like modesty at first glance, it was indeed Yamamoto's true sentiment. The air groups of the First and Second Fleets had sunk 3 aircraft carriers, 5 battleships, 6 cruisers, and 14 destroyers in just one day. In Colombo and Trincomalee, they shot down numerous British aircraft and caused significant damage to ground facilities. However, behind these great achievements lay wounds that were not shallow. During this series of operations, nearly 100 crew members were lost. Each one of them was a skilled and irreplaceable individual. In a rare interruption to their conversation, Chief Shiozawa seemed to sense the emotions in Yamamoto's heart.

"The Third, Fourth, and Fifth Fleets which headed to Australia around the same time as you obliterated the submarine base and the city of Brisbane. The combined air raids from the Third and Fourth Fleets' carrier-based aircraft, along with the surface bombardment from the Fifth Fleet's surface strike vessels, literally turned the area into ashes. Most significantly, the coordinated destruction of the Eastern Fleet played a crucial role in Australia's agreement to peace. This means Japan can now operate without worrying about a push from the south by the Allied air forces. Additionally, with the Fremantle submarine base out of commission, the safety of the Indian Ocean and the southern resource zone has significantly improved. In other words, it makes the management of ships and aircraft much easier. All of this is thanks to Yoshida and Yamamoto. As the Navy Chief of Staff, along with Hori, I offer my thanks as well."

Yamamoto was already aware of the details of the attack on Brisbane. The Third and Fourth Fleets, prioritizing air superiority over sinking enemy ships, had equipped over 70% of their carrier-based aircraft with Zero fighters. With a fleet of 384 Zeros, including those in regular use, they decisively dominated the air near Brisbane. In addition, 156 Type 1 carrier attack planes bombarded the airfield, completely securing air superiority in the area.

Afterward, the planes bombed military facilities, including submarine bases and coastal artillery positions. They eliminated the military resistance of the Australian forces deployed in Brisbane. Finally, Brisbane was thoroughly destroyed by the naval bombardment from the Nagato and Mutsu. Together, both ships fired a total of 1.000 shells, equivalent to 1.000 tons of iron and gunpowder, onto the city of Brisbane. Meanwhile, Zeros and Type 1s dropped bombs and incendiary devices from above, adding more fuel to the flames engulfing Brisbane. The worst for Australia came in the subsequent developments. The Third, Fourth, and Fifth Fleets, which had pounded Brisbane into a hellish landscape, continued southward. Meanwhile, the Japanese government issued evacuation advisories to the citizens of Sydney and simultaneously proposed peace to the Australian government.

The distance between Brisbane and Sydney, assuming a fleet speed of about 14 knots, was approximately a day and a half of sailing. Conversely, the Australian government had effectively only one day to formulate any reasonable discussions or strategies.

At this point, the Australian Prime Minister was forced to make the ultimate choice: whether to continue fighting as a member of the Allied forces, even with Sydney reduced to ashes, or prioritize the lives and property of Sydney's citizens. The Australian Prime Minister chose the latter without hesitation. Already, the Pacific Fleet, which had been the guardian in the east, and the Eastern Fleet, the supposed guardian in the west, had both met disastrous ends at the hands of the Japanese fleet. Furthermore, Brisbane had been reduced to ashes.

Already burdened with manpower committed to the war in Europe and saddled with a vast number of refugees in Brisbane, Australia had lost its aerial forces prepared on the mainland, crushed by the Japanese carrier-based aircraft in Brisbane. While the naval forces suffered significant damage, they were still far from matching the might of the Japanese navy. Without the power to protect the nation and its people, Australia had no choice but to accept Japan's proposal. In response to Hori and Shiozawa's ruthless and wicked methods, Admiral Yamamoto let out his true feelings in his heart.

"Burning Brisbane to the ground, leaving the citizens stranded, and then using Sydney's citizens as hostages to force a peace agreement—you two are truly demons. I feel sorry for Yoshida now that he's become the most hated man by the Australians."