Chapter 67 - Unprecedented Air Combat

A total of 144 SB2C Helldiver dive bombers, 177 TBF Avenger torpedo bombers, and 396 F6F Hellcat fighters were launched from the eight Essex-class regular aircraft carriers and nine Independence-class light aircraft carriers of the Fifth Fleet. The combined air assault force, numbering 717 planes, encountered an unwelcome reception from the enemy due to the intense opposition during its advance.

At that time, the twenty carriers of the 1st Mobile Fleet each had two squadrons, totaling 480 Reppū fighters assigned to fleet air defense duties. Half of them remained on high-altitude vigilance, while the other half were in a state of immediate readiness. Engaging the enemy formation first under the guidance of radar in the intermediate airspace between the Japanese fleet and the American task force, the Reppū on high-altitude vigilance took on the initial challenge.

Having received advance information on the enemy formation's heading, speed, and attack altitude through radar guidance, the 240 Reppū maintained a superior altitude before engaging the enemy, firing 20 mm rounds from high above. In response, the escorting F6Fs bravely counterattacked, trusting in the high performance of their Browning machine guns, despite being at a disadvantage. They aimed their noses upward and fired 12,7 mm rounds. However, shooting upward, even with the excellence of Browning machine guns, couldn't match the effectiveness of the downward-firing 20 mm cannons of the Reppū. Moreover, the precision of the F6Fs' gunfire was significantly inferior, resembling hurried suppressive fire aimed at protecting dive bombers and torpedo bombers.

The torrent of 20 mm rounds, numbering up to 960, dealt decisive damage to the F6Fs. Over 100 F6Fs were shot down or rendered unable to continue the battle due to this attack. In contrast, the Reppū fighters suffered losses of less than 10 aircraft. The significantly reduced number of F6Fs became entangled in the chaotic melee created by the Reppū fighters.

At this point, although the F6Fs still maintained numerical superiority, the difference was not decisive. In such a situation, the outcome would be determined by the performance of the aircraft and the skill of the pilots. However, it was evident that the F6Fs were at a disadvantage in both aspects. Unlike the pilots involved in fleet air defense duties, the pilots accompanying the attack squadrons in the F6Fs were skilled in navigation, meaning they were reasonably competent individuals. However, this was a different story within the US Navy, and it fell far short compared to the combat experience gained by the Reppū pilots since the beginning of the war. Nevertheless, the F6Fs put up a good fight, successfully restraining 240 Reppū fighters.

Stripped of their escorting F6Fs, the advancing SB2Cs and TBFs were confronted by the 240 Reppū fighters from the rapid response group. To avoid target overlapping, instructions were given for 120 aircraft from the First and Third Fleets to target torpedo bombers, while the same number from the Second and Fourth Fleets targeted dive bombers.

"Target the formation at the rear. Everyone, continue!"

Under the command of Sub-Lieutenant Ishiyagawa, the leader of the fifth squadron of the Yamato fighter squadron, twelve Reppū maneuvered, flipping their wings, and moved to the rear upper side of large single-engine carrier-based planes, TBFs, flying at low altitude. The targeted TBFs desperately swiveled their defensive machine guns, but none of the Reppū fighters engaging them were hit.

Although the TBF boasted an exceptional level of defense for a single-engine carrier-based aircraft, it couldn't withstand the high-velocity 20 mm rounds ejected from the four Mark 2 autocannons. Despite the TBF's top speed exceeding 400 kilometers per hour, relatively fast for a torpedo bomber, the speed difference with the Reppū was more than 200 kilometers per hour. The Reppū fighters closed the distance rapidly, firing machine gun rounds into the TBF one after another.

With each flash from the Reppū's wings, the TBFs' fuselage was carved away, and the wings were shattered. The TBFs descended into the Midway sea, spewing flames and smoke. Out of the 177 TBFs attacked by the 120 Reppū fighters, more than a third were brought down with just a single onslaught. Even with well-equipped defensive machine guns, the TBF had no chance of winning, especially when the numbers were almost equal. Reasons varied for the TBFs jettisoning torpedoes and attempting to flee, whether it was a strategic decision, a sense of panic, or other factors. Even so, the faithful planes continued their straight path.

"Admirable commitment, even for an enemy. However, in war, even the earnest ones perish."

While directing a mixture of respect and a hint of pity toward the adversary, Ishiyagawa pressed the machine gun trigger. Four streams of bullets, two from each wing, shot out and impaled themselves into the TBF reflected in the sight. The TBF spewed flames and smoke, leading to a massive explosion a few moments later. Perhaps the fire had ignited either in the fuel tank or in the torpedoes it carried.

At the point when Ishiyagawa shot down the second TBF, the battle was nearly over. The 177 TBFs targeted by the 120 Reppū fighters were annihilated, with only a few aircraft surviving after hastily ditching their torpedoes and attempting escape. Similarly, the 144 SB2C bombers, which suffered the same fate as the TBFs in the attack by 120 Reppū fighters, vanished. In the clash between the 240 Reppū fighters and the 396 F6F fighters, while suffering close to ten percent casualties by the enemy, the F6F fighters suffered several times more losses. Additionally, they failed in escorting dive bombers and torpedo bombers.

The world's largest attack force unleashed by the Fifth Fleet, numbering 717 planes, failed to breach the defense network of the 480 Reppū fighters. Moreover, none of them even caught a glimpse of the 1st Mobile Fleet.