Chapter 66 - Aviation-Centric

"Taka 1 to the first attack group, enemy interceptor fighters detected. Approximately 100 aircraft in two formations, with two slightly delayed formations of the same size. Altitude is almost the same as ours. Change course to climb immediately."

The reconnaissance plane was bearing the emblem of Taka 1, assigned to the skilled air combat commander. Following the commander's instructions, Lieutenant Commander Motomachi, the leader of the most senior Yamato fighter squadron, ordered each aircraft to increase altitude. The first wave consisted of 24 planes each from two squadrons from the Yamato-class aircraft carriers and one squadron of 12 planes from other carriers, totaling 336 Reppū fighters.

"The First Fleet and the Second Fleet will engage the leading formations, while the Third Fleet and the Fourth Fleet will strike the trailing formations. We should be able to spot them in about a minute."

In the military, the more skilled are usually quicker. In other words, the two leading groups are likely to be more proficient than the other two groups on average. So, the plan is to pit the skilled First Fleet and Second Fleet against the enemy vanguard. That's likely the intention of the air combat commander.

"The numbers are roughly equal, or the enemy may have a slight advantage. However, with this level of difference, it's within the margin of error."

As Lieutenant Misato, the leader of the Katsuragi fighter squadron, thought to himself, he witnessed black specks emerging from the blue sky. They gradually formed the silhouette of airplanes.

"It's about time."

The moment Misato thought so, the wings of the enemy fighter planes started to flicker. As expected, Misato banked to dodge the shots from the enemy fighter planes, fired at the predicted timing. Then, he executed a turn as he crossed paths with the enemy fighter planes. The automatic air combat flaps installed on both wings functioned, giving the Reppū superior turning performance over the Zero, at the cost of intense G-forces. As a result of this maneuver, despite the intense discomfort of the generated G-forces, the Reppū easily positioned itself behind the enemy fighter planes.

The enemy fighter plane in the sights looks similar to the F4F Wildcat but clearly has a size difference. It's probably the first encounter with the F6F Hellcat fighter plane. A sturdy-looking aircraft indeed.

The Reppū, equipped with the powerful 2.100-horsepower Mokusei engine, accelerated sharply due to its lightweight. Misato quickly closed the distance and unleashed the four 20 mm autocannons on both wings. Unlike the problematic Mark 1 with low muzzle velocity, the Mark 2 has excellent ballistic characteristics. Equipped with a belt feeding mechanism, it carries 250 rounds capable of ensuring a sustained barrage. The bullets fired straight out all hit the engine and cockpit of the F6F. Bathed in the unprecedented power of the 20 mm shells, the F6F burst into flames from its engine, scattering red-tinted glass fragments as it crashed into the sea near Midway.

"Aoki, take over!"

Having executed a rather ruthless killing, Misato, now in a somewhat reflective mode, was replaced by Aoki, who took position as the lead aircraft. Demonstrating skill akin to his superior, Aoki precisely crushed the cockpit of another F6F, effortlessly slaughtering the enemy. The unexpectedly swift and one-sided turn of events made Misato quickly realize that the proficiency of the enemy fighter squadron's pilots wasn't as high as anticipated.

"Perhaps, in response to the rapid increase in aircraft and carriers, the training of personnel aboard hasn't kept pace."

Indeed, the United States had managed to build a formidable mobile fleet with 17 aircraft carriers in just two years since the start of the war. The shipbuilding capacity and industrial power behind it were nothing short of threatening. However, exceptional pilots were not as easily found. Even if they were talented first or second-year students, they were unlikely to match the expertise of seasoned crewmen like Aoki, Uozaki, and Sumiyoshi. Ignoring Misato's thoughts, Aoki continued to effortlessly eliminate the second and third enemy aircraft.

At the start of the dogfight, the F6Fs, which should have been at least equal in number to their own, quickly became the minority. The surviving F6Fs desperately tried to evade, but the Reppū quickly caught up due to a difference in speed performance, becoming easy prey. At that moment, Misato became aware of his own arrogance.

"It's not just the skill of the pilots. The difference in aircraft performance was also significant."

The F6Fs they engaged were not as superior as the Shiden Kai, but they were clearly faster than the Zero. Although their maneuverability didn't match that of the Zero, it was evident that it had improved compared to the P-40 or F4F. This realization caused Misato to break into a cold sweat.

"If our aircraft were Zeros instead of Reppū, or if our positions were reversed between Japan and the United States, things might have turned out differently. At the very least, with the slower Zeros, we wouldn't have been able to catch or escape from the F6Fs."

Indeed, in aerial combat, victory was not solely determined by the skill of the pilots. Having an aircraft with superior performance and high reliability was crucial. This, in turn, relied on the work of skilled engineers, technicians, and workers involved in aircraft design and manufacturing. Information support from reconnaissance planes was also indispensable. And, at the foundation of it all, were talented individuals and ample budget resources. If, hypothetically, the Imperial Navy had adhered to battleship-centered doctrines rather than prioritizing aviation, much of the budget and personnel would have been invested in battleships and heavy cruisers. In that case, the development pace of new aircraft would have been slower, and assembling their numbers would have been difficult.

"If the Imperial Navy had remained battleship-centered, we might still be forced to fight with Zeros even now."

Even if Misato had to face F6Fs with Zeros, he believed he could handle it adequately. However, that was only possible because of thorough pre-war training and a privileged position. For inexperienced young soldiers, confronting F6Fs with Zeros would be nothing short of torture.

"In the end, it's probably because the higher-ups were competent that we are here now."

No matter how dedicated the soldiers on the ground were, even if they put in a bone-breaking effort, much would be in vain if the commanders were incompetent. While battleship-centered doctrines prevailed, Japan, earlier than any other naval power, transitioned to aviation, prepared for war, and managed to assemble a considerable number of cutting-edge Reppū.

Misato was now, once again, realizing the significance of that.